Views
Helpful
Replies

Detecting Rogue Devices- Especially Linksys Routers

mrashby
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I am having a bit of an issue here. My CIO is claiming he has an entire illegal network in his office and he claims he did it under our noses. I know my layer 2 port security wasn't going to catch his little linksys router. So what I noticed about the Linksys is that it has a LAN and WAN side. The WAN side as we all know interfaces with the local LAN and the LAN side is where all your devices are connected with a 192.168.x.x address. Then the Linksys router just NATs all of the IP's from the inside to the outside no one is the wiser. So with this going on someone can connect one of these to my network and connect as many devices as they want and I can't see anything other than that one external IP the Linksys router picked up from my DHCP server. My question: IS THERE ANYWAY TO DETECT AND PROTECT MY NETWORK FROM ROGUE ROUTING DEVICES?

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Enable STP BPDUGuard, DHCP Snooping and port security.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: