I have just taken delivery of a Cisco 2106 Wireless LAN controller and two Cisco 802.11a/b/g Lightweight Access Point devices.
I have connected the Controller to the PC and I am tyrying to configure the box. The network we have is as follows:
we have a fixed IP address on the router and all workstations have fixed IP addresses of the form 10.0.0.X and get DNS from the windows SBS 2003. The router default gateway is 10.0.0.1.
so to the config of the Wireless controller... I need to know the following: (my comments in [ ] ??? means I have no idea at all) please excuse all my dumb questions
• A management interface (DS Port or network interface port) IP address, such as 10.40.0.4 [can I use any free IP addres of the form 10.0.0.x ]
• A management interface netmask address, such as 255.255.255.0. [same as our netwrok sub?]
• A management interface default router IF address, such as 10.40.0.5 [again something of the form 10.0.0.x? - how is this different from DS Port?]
• A VLAN identifier if the management interface is assigned to a VLAN, such as 40 or 0 for an untagged VLAN.[????]
• A management interface port, such as 1. [again ????]
• A management interface DHCP server IP address, such as 10.10.0.6 (the IP address of the default DHCP server that will supply IP addresses to clients and the management interface. [we do not use DHCP - all clients have fixed IPs so what do I do here?]
• An access point manager interface IP address, such as 10.40.0.7. [what is this and what should I use given our network setup?]
• A virtual gateway IP address (a fictitious, unassigned IP address, such as 18.104.22.168, used by all Cisco wireless LAN controller Layer 3 security and mobility managers). [can I use 22.214.171.124 or something else?]
• A Cisco wireless LAN controller mobility or RF group name, such as rfgrp40 if required. An RF group name can contain up to 19 printable ASCII characters. [can I use anything and if so where and when would I use this]
• An 802.11 network name (SSID), such as wlanl. An SSID can contain up to 32 printable, case-sensitive ASCII characters. [again, can I use anything and if so where and when would I use this]
• Whether or not to allow static IP addresses from clients, either Yes or No. [???]
- Yes is more convenient, but has lower security (session can be hijacked).
- No is less convenient, but has higher security and works well for Windows XP devices.
• RADIUS server IP address, communications port, and secret if you are configuring a RADIUS server, such as 10.40.0.3, 1812, and mysecretcode. [again help ???]
• The country code for this installation. Enter help to see a list or refer to the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide for country code information. This guide is available at CISCO.com [I am in the USA]
• Status of the 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g networks, either enabled or disabled [???]
• Status of radio resource management (RRM), either enabled or disabled [???]
THANKYOU FOR ANY HELP!!!!