Views
Helpful
Replies

“AP 'AP1’, interface '802.11b/g' is down on Controller '10.0.0.1”

lauraherr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our WCS receives continuously this type of alarm: “AP 'AP1’, interface '802.11b/g' is down on Controller '10.0.0.1” for all the access points registered in the controller. Although the alarm is cleared within a few seconds, the email is sent to the customer, which involves too many emails.

Does any troubleshooting we can carry out to make sure these are real alarms? In the case the interface was getting down and up, what could be the reason? And how could fix it?

Following you can see the version or the controller and for the APs:

Controller version - 5.2.178.0

IOS version -12.4(18a)JA1

Mini IOS version - 3.0.51.0

Boot version - 12.3.8.0

Thanks in advanced.

Best regards,
Laura Herrero

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade to 6.0.182.0 or 6.0.0188.0 and call us in the morning. 

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Laura,

What type of controllers do you have? How many access points? What type of access points?

To Leo's point. You may want to consider an upgrade. Ive installed 100+ controllers and i dont think i ever came across this one before ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

satcomjimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Laura,

You may have a power issue, I have had issues with certain access points doing similar things to this, and there were sometimes issues with power being delivered or power injector settings that had to be tweaked, especially after upgrading to 5.2. If it is not getting enough power, the AP may stay associated and the radio will not power up. You will see it on a console session on the AP, though there may also be debug commands on the controller to find this out.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I saw this message when I ran 5.X but after upgrading to 6.X the error messages go away.

Hi,

Thanks for your posts. We have 4 controller 4402, neither has more than 20APs peer controller, and all of them shows this messages in the WLC.Is it any bug? If you don't see these messages with version 6.x I will upgrade the controllers, I hope it fixed te problem!

Thanks!

Laura

I understand your apprehension (I would too).  Upgrade one-by-one and observe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: