Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems restoring from backup

lusbyr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to restore a Ciscoworks LMS 3.2 configuration from backup.  However, I keep getting this error during the RME restore.

This is from the backup log...

[Tue Feb 2 09:58:16 2010] CCR updation for PSIRT completed.

ADDRESOURCE[CCREntry[RME_CRI,Configurations,Custom,cco,,Psirt_Option,,,,FALSE]]: CCRResponse[2;The entry already exists. Unable to add entry CCREntry[RME_CRI,Configurations,Custom,cco,,Psirt_Option,,,,FALSE].]

ADDRESOURCE[CCREntry[RME_CCJS,Configurations,Custom,true,,VNMPurgeEnabled,,,,FALSE,DefaultData=false]]: CCRResponse[0;]

ADDRESOURCE[CCREntry[RME_CCJS,Configurations,Custom,true,,IPMPurgeEnabled,,,,FALSE,DefaultData=false]]: CCRResponse[0;]

ADDRESOURCE[CCREntry[RME_SYSLOGANALYZER,Configurations,Custom,5,,THREAD_NUM,,,,FALSE]]: CCRResponse[0;]

ADDRESOURCE[CCREntry[cwhp,Custom,Custom,TRUE,,CSSCPServer,,,,FALSE]]: CCRResponse[2;The entry already exists. Unable to add entry CCREntry[cwhp,Custom,Custom,TRUE,,CSSCPServer,,,,FALSE].]

ADDRESOURCE[CCREntry[RME_ICS,Configurations,Custom,0,,eox_soft_last_updated_time,,,,FALSE]]: CCRResponse[0;]

[Tue Feb 2 09:58:18 2010] Backup version: 4.2

[Tue Feb 2 09:58:18 2010] Current version: 4.3

[Tue Feb 2 09:58:18 2010] Successfully updated CCR entry

[Tue Feb 2 09:58:18 2010] No need to update the incremental ccr

[Tue Feb 2 09:58:18 2010] No need to update the ccr

[Tue Feb 2 09:58:18 2010] This is Restore

Unable to start :EssentialsDM

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain.callAppPreMigration(MigrMain.java:386)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain.main(MigrMain.java:591)

The CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service is stopping.........................

The CiscoWorks Daemon Manager service was stopped successfully.

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] Going to write to file

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] Written to file

Logger Updated successfully

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] Logger Updated successfully

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] rmelog.cfg is copied successfully

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] Its WINDOWS ....

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] Execution of doRestore rmeng :: restore.pm, completed.

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] Unloading Campus Manager restore.pm's functions

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010]

ERROR: doRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] had some errors.

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] Check the log file for details

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] <Deleting directory F:\CSCOpx\tempBackupData>

[Tue Feb 2 10:04:56 2010] [ rd /s /q F:\CSCOpx\tempBackupData ]

[Tue Feb 2 10:10:31 2010] <Deleting directory F:\CSCOpx\tempBackupData, completed>

[Tue Feb 2 10:10:31 2010] <Restore stoped at 2010/02/02 10:10:31>

Restore from backup 'F:\CW_Backup' started at: 2010/02/02 10:40:47

What does the message "Unable to start: Essentials DM" mean and how do I get the restore to complete successfully?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, so there may be something tied to this server that is causing SSL not to work.  To be clear, if you do a clean install of LMS on the server, then enable SSL, can you reproduce the breakage?

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I wonder if you're not seeing the same problem as in this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2003048?tstart=0

Joe,

What is the exact name of the service as it appears in the Service mmc?  I do not see an entry for Windows Remote Services.

Are there other services that could conflict?

I have uploaded a screen capture of the services mmc.

Thanks.

Bob

Upload did not work the first time.  Trying again.

Post the EssentialsDM.log and EssentialsDM_Server.log.

Joe,

OK - here you go....

Bob

The logs have not been written to today.  With Daemon Manager running, run "pdreg -l EssentialsDM" and post the output.  Also, post the syslog.log.

Joe,

I have tried four different generations of backup.  Each fails in the same manner.

I also reinstalled the entire application from scratch, did a basic configuration and enabled SSL to make sure the web page would come up.

This worked.

However, as soon as I did the restore from backup, after the fourth attempt, I decided to see if Ciscoworks would come up.   It did not Apache would not start again.

In LMS 3.2 is a selective restore possible.  Something is wrong with the certificate or SSL configuration.  I would be happy if I could just get RME back and the users and user defined groups I have created.

Joe,

Here is the other piece of information you needed.  I had to disable SSL to get Ciscoworks to come up.

F:\CSCOpx\MDC\Apache>pdreg -l EssentialsDM
        Process      = EssentialsDM
        Path         = F:\CSCOpx\bin\cwjava.exe
        Flags        = -cw F:\CSCOpx -cw:jre lib/jre -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryE
rror -cp:p MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/classes,MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF
/lib/ctm.jar,MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/lib/xerces.jar,MDC/tomcat/webapps/rm
e/WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar,MDC/tomcat/shared/lib/NATIVE.jar,MDC/tomcat/shared/lib/M
ICE.jar,MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/lib/xdi.jar,MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-IN
F/lib/ags.jar,MDC/tomcat/common/lib/servlet.jar,MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/l
ib/ogs-client.jar,MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/lib/cogs.jar,MDC/tomcat/webapps
/rme/WEB-INF/lib/ogs-util.jar com.cisco.nm.rmeng.inventory.dm.server.DmMain
        Startup      = Started automatically at boot.
        Dependencies = EssMonitor DCRServer RMEDbEngine

Bob

Joe,

I have a question.  If a backup to LMS is created and SSL is not enabled while you take the backup and you try and restore the backup with SSL enabled is this going to hose things up?

Thanks.

Bob

Ah, so there may be something tied to this server that is causing SSL not to work.  To be clear, if you do a clean install of LMS on the server, then enable SSL, can you reproduce the breakage?

Joe,

We have four LMS servers in our environment.  They have identical OS (Windows Server 2003 R2), hardware (HP DL385 G1) and LMS versions.

What started this was a user noticed I had not enable HTTPS after the upgrade to LMS 3.2.  I enabled HTTPS on the four servers, since it is a simple change in Common Services.

On two of the servers, the switchover to HTTPS was seamless and without issues.  On the other two, as we dicussed in the other thread, Apache does not start if HTTPS (SSL) is enabled.

This is frustrating.  So I am going to escalate this with Advanced Services and see if I can get this issue resolved.

I am reasonably certain I can reproduce the issue with a fresh install.  The only issue is a reinstall is time consuming, as it takes almost 8 hours for me to reconfigure to a fresh install.

Bob

Joe,

I solved the issue with the backup.  When you remove LMS from the server it removes casuser also.   The new casuser that is regenerated when the installation is a new entity when it comes to permissions.

So the new casuser did not have any permissions to the backup folder.

Once I figured this out and gave casuser permissions to the backup folder the restore completed successfully.

Bob

Excellent.  However, that wouldn't explain the SSL problem.  Is that still going on?

Joe,

You are correct, this does not explain the SSL issue and yes it is still occurring.

Nael collected some data with process monitor.  He said the two of you would analyze it for ideas.

I will wait to hear from Nael.

Thanks.

Bob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: