cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1310 bridging antenna multipoint question

satcomjimmy
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on several sites that we are planning to bridge but I am not sure of the configurations I want to do. I am planning on using a 1310 with external antennas to bridge to 2 other 1310s with internal antennas. I am wondering if this will even work. Is there 2 antenna ports for diversity or can I configure each to go to a separate endpoint?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

use directional antennas on sides, and use omnidirectonal antenna in the middle bridge

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

The 1310 does have two antenna connectors for diversity but you really can't set one antenna to point to one bridge and the other antenna to point to a different bridge.  With diversity only one antenna is active at a time.  Basically whichever one is getting the better signal is used.  So if you have one antenna pointed to one bridge and the other antenna pointed to a different bridge only one bridge would be able to pass traffic at a time.  While that one is passing traffic the other bridge would be stranded.

So how does it handle point to multipoint? In one of my cases, as long as it can receive multiple endpoints, I can point them back to the root and be good, but another application we were considering was basically daisy chaining them down a road on telephone poles. I was asuuming having one antenna point to a root and the other antenna point to the next pole and so on.

use directional antennas on sides, and use omnidirectonal antenna in the middle bridge

Yes, that is what we did for the point to multipoint application and it has been up and running for a week now. In the other instance, the middle has to be root, so daisy chaining bridges is not feasible, correct? By daisy chaining, I mean having a root bridge and then a non root brodge which would then act as a root to the next one down the line, etc. It doesn't appear that is feasible, so I will look into mesh APs instead.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: