Can the NSSxxx accept syslog traffic and ssh connections?

Unanswered Question
Feb 2nd, 2010

I am looking for a Network Storage Server for Network Management i.e. a storage server that will  listen on syslog port and store logs.

I would also like to tftp and/or scp router configurations and new IOSs between routers and switches; and a NSS.

In conclusion, I need a Network Storage Server to support network administration tasks i.e. syslog, ssh, iscsi for VMs, tftp, and web folders.

Does cisco have or is cisco planning to release software upgrades or software modules that support network administrators tasks?

Who in most likelihood have cisco routers, switches, firewalls,...

If the functionality that I request is not available then can cisco at least accept syslog traffic and ssh connections?

thank you

r

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Alejandro Gallego Sun, 02/07/2010 - 11:35

The current NSS appliances are not Syslog Servers and do not have any provisioning for SSH. A share can be created and used to store logs captured by a SYSLOG server, but I know that is not what you were asking. All the features you mentioned have been looked at and I ahve also requested additional functionality that our current storage solutions do not have. In short, those features are being looked into and now we are just waiting for them to materialize. I hope to see a new solution within a year but for now... we wait.

As of today, I have not heard any official word as to any new firmware for our current products or new storage solutions.

doishi Fri, 06/11/2010 - 22:48

The new Cisco NSS 300 Series Smart Storage products all contain a syslog server.  So you can collect all

network syslog messages and store them on the Smart Storage.  Simple reporting and filtering is available as well to help sort through the information

http://www.cisco.com/go/smartstorage

Actions

This Discussion