Views
Helpful
Replies

Procedure to reset catalyst 4507 in hardware

CSCO10992439
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I started a topic some days ago, as I had issues logging into a catalyst 4507 through console port, some of professionals here thankfully tried to help me to fix this issue, and for now I have 3 procedures that I will try when Im at the client site next week.

But for now, there is a solid chance that all these 3 suggested procedures might not work. I wonder if Cisco has any documentation states how to reset a switch to its factory default settings in such cases where console and telnet are inaccessible.

Switch model is 4507, with 2 SUP II+, and 2 24-ports line cards.

Thanks in advance,

Baher

6 Replies 6

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello All,

I started a topic some days ago, as I had issues logging into a catalyst 4507 through console port, some of professionals here thankfully tried to help me to fix this issue, and for now I have 3 procedures that I will try when Im at the client site next week.

But for now, there is a solid chance that all these 3 suggested procedures might not work. I wonder if Cisco has any documentation states how to reset a switch to its factory default settings in such cases where console and telnet are inaccessible.

Switch model is 4507, with 2 SUP II+, and 2 24-ports line cards.

Thanks in advance,

Baher

Hi Beher,

You mean to say without console or telnet you want to reset a switch to factory default setting.If yes i dont think so it can be achived but anyway check out the below link hope that helps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml

If helpful do rate

Ganesh.H

Ganesh,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do mean that I want to reset cisco switch without login via console port or telnet.

Too bad this document you sent cant help, I still have to login in order to follow the steps given in this document.

Thanks,

Baher

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you trying to clear all the configs for the switch?

Hi leolaohoo,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I ended up in a situation that the console port on both SUP II+ are inaccessible for some reason, No telnet password were set. So now the switch is completely inaccessible, if you are interested in this case, please refer to my original post of the problem below.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3013208#3013208

Hope you have a new idea to solve this out.

Thanks,

Baher

The last time I've used a Sup2+ that won't allow me to telnet and console into, it was showing an error message of "low memory" and "try again later" or something.  TAC recommended that I upgrade the IOS because it was a known bug.  The IOS I was using back then was in the vicinity of what you are using now.  The only way for us to regain access was to reboot the chassis or reseat the card.

Thanks for your reply. I have rebooted the chassis and reseated all cards, still same problem. The problem is that I cant even upgrade the IOS image because I cant even type any commands. Here are some of the show commands that I could issue from the user exec mode, hope this could help

show bootvar

BOOT variable does not exist

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2101

Standby BOOT variable does not exist

Standby CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

Standby BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Standby Configuration register is 0x2101

show bootflash:

-#- ED ----type---- --crc--- -seek-- nlen -length- ---------date/time--------- n

ame

1   .. image        849A6430  CABF18   33 13024920 Feb 12 2006 22:40:15 +00:00 c

at4000-i9k91s-mz.122-25.EWA4.bin

14237928 bytes available (13025048 bytes used)

show slavebootflash:

-#- ED ----type---- --crc--- -seek-- nlen -length- ---------date/time--------- n

ame

1   .. image        93B32579  C2A9FC   30 12495228 Feb 9 2006 22:40:35 +00:00 ca

t4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA4.bin

2   .. config       BE3AC713  C2B0D4    6     1622 Aug 5 2008 00:15:00 +00:00 st

att\

14765868 bytes available (12497108 bytes used)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card