Helpful
Replies

6506 and 6509

Kaushik Patel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have a quick question.

Cisco Reommends to place the sup-1 and 2 in slot 1 and 2 of the chassis, and sup-720 to be places in slot 5 and 6 only.

my question is that why i should place sup-720 in slot 5 and 6 only and not in slot 1 and 2.

will appreciate your quick response.

Many Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Experts,

I have a quick question.

Cisco Reommends to place the sup-1 and 2 in slot 1 and 2 of the chassis, and sup-720 to be places in slot 5 and 6 only.

my question is that why i should place sup-720 in slot 5 and 6 only and not in slot 1 and 2.

Many Thanks.

Hi Kaushik,

The Supervisor 720 incorporates a new version of the Policy Feature Card (PFC3A or PFC3B or PFC3BXL) as well as a new Multilayer Switch Feature Card (MSFC3) as well as an integrated 720 Gbps switch fabric. This level of integration increases slot efficiency of high performance and high availability configurations.Because the switch fabric is integrated with the supervisor, the Supervisor Engine 720 must be installed in particular slots.

Chasis                                                                                        Slots for Supervisor Engine 720

6503/6503-E/7603                                                                            1 or 2

6506/6506-E/7606                                                                             5 or 6

6509/6509-E                                                                                       5 or 6

6509-NEBS/6509-NEBS-A/OSR-7609                                          5 or 6

Cisco 7609                                                                                         5 or 6

6513/7613                                                                                          7 or 8

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Experts,

I have a quick question.

Many Thanks.

Hi Kaushik,

The Supervisor 720 incorporates a new version of the Policy Feature Card (PFC3A or PFC3B or PFC3BXL) as well as a new Multilayer Switch Feature Card (MSFC3) as well as an integrated 720 Gbps switch fabric. This level of integration increases slot efficiency of high performance and high availability configurations.Because the switch fabric is integrated with the supervisor, the Supervisor Engine 720 must be installed in particular slots.

Chasis                                                                                        Slots for Supervisor Engine 720

6503/6503-E/7603                                                                            1 or 2

6506/6506-E/7606                                                                             5 or 6

6509/6509-E                                                                                       5 or 6

6509-NEBS/6509-NEBS-A/OSR-7609                                          5 or 6

Cisco 7609                                                                                         5 or 6

6513/7613                                                                                          7 or 8

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate

Ganesh.H

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

patel.kaushik wrote:

Hello Experts,

I have a quick question.

Many Thanks.

Just a follow up to Ganesh's post.

It's more than a recommendation, it's an actual requirement. The connection to the switch fabric is provided in slots 5 & 6. Prior to the sup720 there was an module called a Switch Fabric Module (SFM) that could be used with a Sup 2. What this did was to provide a connection to the switch fabric for linecards that were capable of using the switch fabric. Note that not all cards have connections to the switch fabric ie. classic line cards do not.

If you had a sup2 with an SFM the SFM had to go into slots 5 or 6 because that is where the connection the switch fabric is provided. The supervisor 720 has a built in connection to the switch fabric so you don't need an SFM but you do need to use slots 5 & 6 to gain access to the switch fabric.

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

And it was BUILT that way.  Have you seen the connectors of the Sup720 and the slots of the 6500?  There's no way you can lock the Sup32/720 in any slots other than what's recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: