Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport no negoiate

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

can anyone tell me if I set my port to access, or trunk manually, do I still need to use the no negoiate command? if in access/trunk mode would they still send dtp frames ?

cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

yes, if you want the port to stop sending DTP frames, use switchport nonegotiate command.

See

"If you enter access mode, the interface goes into permanent nontrunking mode and negotiates to convert the link into a nontrunk link even if the neighboring interface does not agree to the change.

If you enter trunk mode, the interface goes into permanent trunking mode and negotiates to convert the link into a trunk link even if the neighboring interface does not agree to the change."

"When you are using the nonegotiate keyword, DISL/DTP negotiation packets will not be sent on the interface. The device will trunk or not trunk according to the mode parameter given: access or trunk. "

in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/20ew/command/reference/snmp_vtp.html#wp1114663

HTH,

Milan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

yes, if you want the port to stop sending DTP frames, use switchport nonegotiate command.

See

"If you enter access mode, the interface goes into permanent nontrunking mode and negotiates to convert the link into a nontrunk link even if the neighboring interface does not agree to the change.

If you enter trunk mode, the interface goes into permanent trunking mode and negotiates to convert the link into a trunk link even if the neighboring interface does not agree to the change."

"When you are using the nonegotiate keyword, DISL/DTP negotiation packets will not be sent on the interface. The device will trunk or not trunk according to the mode parameter given: access or trunk. "

in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/20ew/command/reference/snmp_vtp.html#wp1114663

HTH,

Milan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card