cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Module versus Content Switching Module with SSL?

tim.metzinger
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a CSS 11506 and am supposed to be planning the refresh of this device in the future to something that will support IPv6 and do everything the CSS does.

I'd originally planned for the ACE module, but I now see there is a Content Switching Module with SSL available.

I can't tell any difference in what they do based on the limited data on the web.  Do either of them support IPv6 if used with a Sup720?  Will one of them have a longer life than the other?

10 Replies 10

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The end-of-sale, end-of-support annoncement for the CSM-S will be released at the end of this month.

So I would not chose that option.

ACE is the new loadbalancer from Cisco and it does everything the CSM did plus more.

Gilles.

Great - does it do IPv6?  And if not, has Cisco committed to it?

Will there be an EOL/EOS announcement for the CSS11506 soon?

ACE will do IPv6 by the end of this calendar year normally.

No EOS/EOL for the CSS on the calendar yet.

Gilles.

Thanks.   Since the ACE is quite expensive, I'm going to recommend hanging on to the CSS for a while longer - we don't NEED IPv6 yet.

We'll update our Cat6500s to Sup720s (and go to Native mode) and if we need to present IPv6 addresses to the world for CSS VIPs we can do that bridging/translating in the Cat switch.

Then we'll have to put in a pair of ACE modules in the 6513 to replace the CSS11506 and still have fault tolerance... Yikes that will be expensive.

You could also go with the ACE4710.

Oh - one final question... looking at the price list, it appears the hardware is "free", but you pay for the software/feature licenses... is

that correct?

It looks like I'd buy the 4Gbps license, 5000 SSL TPS, and maintenance... we don't need to virtualize the device.

That is correct - the price comes from the throuput license. The device also comes with the default 5 device context feature. If you don't need more than you don't need to buy additional virtualizatin license.

There are some bundle solution that might make the solution more attractive. I would suggest reaching out to you account team to discuss pricing.

Thanks

Eric

I like the idea of the 4710 as it leaves slots free in my 6500 chassis.  Looks like it's licensed the same way too.

yes it is - there are bundles as well depending on the requirements.

http://cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5719/ps7027/Data_Sheet_Cisco_ACE_4710.html

I did a 4710 deployment two months back. It is MUCH easier than the CSS was.  The GUI is nice and clean and you can actual

ly pretty easily do 99% of the configuration tasks in the GUI.  This makes it easier to train people on maintaining it.

I am a fan of the 4710.

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: