Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Two Switches Together

Good morning to all, and thank you for taking the time to look at my discussion topic.  First of all, I'm new to the networking world.  Due to the resignation of our network engineer, I've been asked to step in, and take care of the networking duties.  So far, it's gone fairly well.  The one question I had (which is very easy for probably all of you, but eludes me), is how to connect two switches together.  I do understand the whole concept of trunking.  It's not the actual switch command setup that I need help with.  It's more along the lines of the hardware.  For example;  Let's say that I have two switches.  A 2960, and a 3500XL.  The 2960 has sfp ports, for an sfp connector.  The 3500XL has a GBIC slot.  Is there a way to connect the two switches using these ports?  I have a GLC-T sfp for the 2960.  If I wanted to connect it to the 3500XL, using the GBIC port, what would I need to purchase?  I've exhaustively searched online for an answer, but cannot find one.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Stavros,

In order to connect your 2960 and 3500XL together, (assuming they are both 1 Gig speed)  you will need a LC to SC fiber patch cord.  The SFP side (2960) uses a LC connector and GBIC side (3500) uses a SC connector. Make sure you get the right length.

BTW, this is where I get my patch cords:

http://www.stonewallcable.com/

Good Luck

HTH

Reza

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card