Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS

I'm trying to upgrade our switch IOS. I used telnet to connect to the device, had setup the tftp server and started the service, the software was in the TFTP root, and typed copy tftp flash. The file copied over without an issue, but I never got the 'erase flash?' question. The current IOS running is in a sub-directory off the flash 'root'. Looking at a document 'Loading Cisco IOS Software', it's mentioned changing the config register to the value 0x2101. Why is that done? Is it necessary in each case?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if this is in production, do it during on outage window in case some thing goes wrong.

Also, take a look at the 3560 command reference guide to make sure every thing is correct before rebooting

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_20_se/command/reference/bootldr.html#wp1048666

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

When you have enough space in your flash, it will not ask you to delete the old one. Now that you have 2 images on your flash, make sure you point your boot variable to the new IOS before rebooting.  No need to change the config register value.

HTH

Reza

Thanks for the quick reply. How would I change the boot variable?

C

What type of switch do you have?

it is usually "boot system flash

Then do a "sh boot" and make sure the new image is in the boot variable

HTH

Reza

3560. After the 'sh boot', reload? And sh ver to make sure the new ios was loaded?

Yes, if this is in production, do it during on outage window in case some thing goes wrong.

Also, take a look at the 3560 command reference guide to make sure every thing is correct before rebooting

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_20_se/command/reference/bootldr.html#wp1048666

HTH

Reza

Thanks a bunch, Reza!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card