Views
Helpful
Replies

How LMS 3.1 uses SNMP passwords

dmistry21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are currently in the process of changing our SNMP RO passwords on devices via using groups in DCR.  As this is to be a stage by stage excercise (i.e 20 devices one week, 20 devices the following week), does the SNMP need to be changed as a default within Ciscoworks and where do you do this and any problems this could cause ?

As far as I can see the SNMP RO password from ciscoworks is used to verify device info in the DCR and not for device config retrieval that is performed from RME.  Is this correct ?

Many Thanks

1 Reply 1

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

AFAIK, the SNMP RO string gets used in IPM and CiscoView for reading certain configurations (and SNMP RW is used for writing configuraitons). And after seeing this thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2003225?tstart=0, it seems Campus Manager might use the RW too, which is news to me.

If you're not using those LMS components, you can probably get away with leaving obsolete SNMP strings in DCR.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: