Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0: Users don't receive the voice message

omar_youn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have Unity 5.0 and 2 CUCM (cluster) 7.0

The voice mail and message was working well, but now, I have a problem with it; the problem is that when a user calls another user that has a voice mail configured, and he leaves a message, the other user don’t receive this voice message in its IP Phone nor in its mail box; the only thing that appeared in its IP Phone is: 1 missed Call.

And when we click in message button (or call the number of voice mail) in this IP Phone, it asks us to enter the password and after it tells that our voice message not available!!

Please, how can I resolve this problem?

Thanks in advanced,

Best regards,

Omar

12 Replies 12

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Omar -

If you are running unified messaging, several things may be happening.

- What does your Unity application event log say?  Does it show errors when the user attempts to access his or her voice messages?  Are you seeing any errors related to "Exchange server is offline?"

- In the case of a single user, if the user's mailbox is full, meaning has reached the Exchange limit for Prohibit Send and Receive, Unity cannot send the voice message to the user.  For external callers, these messages are sent instead to the Unaddressed Messages DL, typically includes the EAdmin (Enterprise Administrator) or could also be another userid you have configured.  For other users, a non-deliverable message is sent.

- Check in the commserver\unitymta\ or unitymta\failed directory.  The default location is C, but is often moved to another drive like E.  If you can see the user's voice message there, try moving from the failed directory back to commserver\unitymta and restart the AvUMRSyncSvr service.

- Did you by chance move users to a new Exchange information store or different server?  You will need to run the Unity permissions wizard for any new Exchange stores so the unitymsgstoresvc account has permissions to read the user's mailbox.

If this problem is occurring for all users and none of the items I listed match your circumstances, did something change in your environment with Unity, Exchange, or Active Directory?  If so, it would help to know the versions you are running.  And I would recommend you contact Cisco TAC for a problem that impacts all users as well.

Sincerely,

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thank you very much for your quick answer and your help,

Bellow you find the response of your question:

1. the event Log says that there's the problem with Exchange server (please to see the attached file, the event log).

2. this problem is not for a single user, but is occurring for all users. And when I check the commserver\unitymta folder I found all user's voice message there, and not in failed folder.

3. we don't move users to a new Exchange information store or different server, and unitymsgstoresvc account have all permission (domain Admin, enterprise, exchange..)

4. the user's mailbox is not full.

5. the version are: Unity 5.0, exchange server 2003 and Active Directory installed with Exchange in the same server.

Please, do you have any idea to resolve this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

Omar

Hi Ginger,

Thank you very much for your quick answer and your help,

Bellow you find the response of your question:

1. the event Log says that there's the problem with Exchange server (please to see the attached file, the event log).

2. this problem is not for a single user, but is occurring for all users. And when I check the commserver\unitymta folder I found all user's voice message there, and not in failed folder.

3. we don't move users to a new Exchange information store or different server, and unitymsgstoresvc account have all permission (domain Admin, enterprise, exchange..)

4. the user's mailbox is not full.

5. the version are: Unity 5.0, exchange server 2003 and Active Directory installed with Exchange in the same server.

Please, do you have any idea to resolve this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

Omar

Hi,

The event log are:

Type de l'événement : Erreur

Source de l'événement :             CiscoUnity_UMR

Catégorie de l'événement :       Erreur de thread UMR

ID de l'événement :       137

Date :                   04/02/2010

Heure :                10:30:45

Utilisateur :        N/A

Ordinateur :       UNITY

Description :

Les tentatives de remise de messages UMR ont échoué à cause de problèmes liés à la configuration ou à la connexion de Unity au serveur de messagerie partenaire.

AvUMRSyncSvr va interrompre la remise de messages pendant 300 secondes, puis va tenter à nouveau de remettre les messages.

Pendant cetteinterruption, il est possible que des messages s'accumulent dans la banque de messages temporaire. 0x000017DC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source de l'événement :             CiscoUnity_MALEx

Catégorie de l'événement :       Erreur

ID de l'événement :       30012

Heure :                10:30:44

Description :

Il s'est produit une erreur qui empêche AvUMRSyncSvr d'accéder à Exchange via MAPI.

Ceci signifie généralement des problèmes de configuration de Unity, d'Exchange, ou du sous-système MAPI.

Vérifiez que les comptes des services Unity disposent des autorisations appropriées  et qu'il n'y a pas de problème d'installation.  L'utilitaire SysCheck peut être utilie pour dignostiquer le problème.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source de l'événement :             CiscoUnity_MALEx

Catégorie de l'événement :       Erreur

ID de l'événement :       30003

Heure :                10:30:44

Description :

Échec d'une tentative d'accès à la banque de boîtes aux lettres principale d'Exchange par AvUMRSyncSvr via MAPI. Le sous-système MAPI renvoie l'erreur suivante : Échec de la tentative de connexion à l'ordinateur Microsoft Exchange Server..

Hi Omar -

Here is an excellent forum train for your review - https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1207227#1207227

Before contacting TAC and suspecting you might have a corrupted MAPI profile, I would try these steps first!  I would confirm your Unity server is still a global catalog.  Run Active Directory Sites and Services snap-in on the Unity server.  Expand Sites, Default-First-Site-Name, Servers.  Select your server and expand the + sign to get to the NTDS Settings, right click and choose Properties.  Make sure the Global Catalog box is checked.  If that is OK, on the Unity server run the DC/GC Reconnect Tool.  You want the DC and GC to be the same server.  I would try resynching at this point.  You will see several application event log messages about synchronization start - wait until these complete -  maybe give it 5-10 minutes.  Then restart the AvUMRSyncSvr service - what we want to see if all voice messages moved over to user mailboxes. 

If that doesn't fix the problem, I would ask if you've tried rebooting the server since the errors appeared. If not, I would at least try rebooting the server before consulting TAC.  If you are still having problems, I would consult with TAC as the forum post recommends.  I've had to rebuild a Unity server MAPI profile before but on a 4.X system.  I'm hoping the DC/GC reconnect will do the trick instead on your 5.X system.

Sincerely, Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for your update.

The Global Catalog box is checked. Now I want to run the DC/GC Reconnect Tool, but I don't know how can I do it!! Can you please indicate me where can I find this?

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

Omar

Hi Ginger,

I download the DCGC Reconnect Settings and I install it in Unity Server.

The DC and DG are the same server. In DC when I click Test Connection the message: Domain Controller found, and the same thing in DG.

I want to know how can I synchronize? if by the click in Force Reconnect, I do it, but it take just 10 second and after it display a message: Reconnect Process is initiated for domain: xxx. And the same thing for DG.

And in the Log I don’t find any error message, bellow a example:

================================================================

Running dcgcreconnectsettingstool, version 1.0.14

Local Unity version=5.0(1.0)

Running under acciont: UnityAdmin\ARTESNET

Local time=05/02/2010 04:42:55

================================================================

please, can you tell me your proposition,

Thanks a lot,

Best Regards,

Omar

You are looking for 2 things in your applogs after you click the force reconnect button and get the message that it started on both the DC tab and GC tab in the DC/GC reconnect tool. Go to event viewer and you will see two event for both teh DSAD and GlobalCatalog services. One that says a synch started and the other that states it completed. Depending on how big your AD is, the completed messages may take a while to come into the applog. Once you see those, that is when the synch with both servers is truly completed. Here are the CiscoUnitiy_DSGC event for example.

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    CiscoUnity_DSGC
Event Category:    Info
Event ID:    1038
Date:        2/5/2010
Time:        12:10:40 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    STZUNITY5A
Description:
The Cisco Unity service that monitors the global catalog (AvDSGlobalCatalog) started a full synchronization cycle with stzdcgc.STYLZVM.LOCAL.

and

Event Type:    Information
Event Source:    CiscoUnity_DSGC
Event Category:    Info
Event ID:    1043
Date:        2/5/2010
Time:        12:10:46 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    STZUNITY5A
Description:
The Cisco Unity service that monitors the global catalog (AvDSGlobalCatalog) completed a full synchronization cycle with stzdcgc.STYLZVM.LOCAL.

Tray

Hi Try,

Thanks for your update,

As you recommend, when I click in Force Connect I collect my Event View; and it's OK, I think that the sync passed well. please to verify my Event View bellow:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type de l'événement : Informations

Source de l'événement :             CiscoUnity_DSAD

Catégorie de l'événement :       Infos

ID de l'événement :       1091

Date :                   09/02/2010

Heure :                09:45:58

Description :

Le service Cisco Unity qui contrôle Active Directory (AvDSAD) va utiliser le contrôleur de domaine SERVADS.ARTESNET.local pour son fonctionnement ultérieur dans le domaine ARTESNET.local. Le service AvDSAD bascule vers le nouveau contrôleur de domaine car ses tentatives de connexion à SERVAD.ARTESNET.local ont échoué 0 fois de suite. Le service AvDSAD va commencer une synchronisation complète avec ce domaine dans 0 heure(s) et 2 minute(s). Les opérations sur les annuaires telles que la création ou la modification des abonnés ne seront pas autorisées tant que la synchronisation du service AvDSAD avec le nouveau contrôleur de domaine ne sera pas totale.

ID de l'événement :       1094

Heure :                09:46:10

Description :

Le service Cisco Unity qui contrôle Active Directory (AvDSAD) a lancé un cycle de synchronisation complète avec SERVADS.ARTESNET.local. Un message est consigné dans le journal des événements une fois le cycle de cette synchronisation terminé.

ID de l'événement :       1093

Heure :                09:46:13

Description :

Le service Cisco Unity qui contrôle Active Directory (AvDSAD) a terminé un cycle de synchronisation complète avec SERVADS.ARTESNET.local.

please do you have any other idea to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advanced,

Best Regards,

Omar

Did you check the GlobalCatalog events too? There should be two message for both DSAD and GlobalCatalog. If GlobalCatalog is not synching this might also be why the Exchang errors are occuring. Beyong that, check an affected users permissions in AD and make sure the MessageStoreSvr account has Send As permissions for that user. If not, that might be why the message never arrives in the users mailbox. The other problem you mentioned is that the message never even arrives in UnityMTA. Do me a favor and leavea a message but don't hang up when you are done saying your voicemail message. Press # instead and tell it to send now and tell us if it says success or failure. If failure and it's an outside call, there is a problem with the Unity_servername account and that should be looked at. If it says success, the message is being sent and should be either in UnityMTA or in the users mailbox.

Tray

Hi,

I want to inform that I resolve this problem.

to resolve it, I follow the Chapiter 4, Changing the partner Exchange Server, in Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unity Release 5.X Document.

in the first I run Cisco Unity Permissions Wizard, and I found that I must to add some permissions for the account that Unity Server use.

and after I run the Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration Wizard.

Thanks a lot for all,

Best Regards,

Omar

Great to hear that! If we were any help, please rate.

Thanks!

Tray

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: