SWVMS16 work arounds for Windows7

Unanswered Question
Feb 3rd, 2010

The two big tips for getting SWVMS16 to work in Microsoft Windows7 are:

1) Disable UAC (User account control)

2) Run the SWVMS16 application as an administrator

Detailed instructions on how to perform each task is included in the attached file.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
znajmudd Tue, 02/09/2010 - 17:27

Tried several times to install SWVMS16 v1.2.1

Disabled UAC and ran as Admin - comes back with error:

Error - Missing or corrupted files....Reinstall program and try again....

Uninstalled and reinstalled several times but no success.

My config:

Intel Atom N270

Windows 7 Ultimate

Let me know if you want me to try anithing else?

You can borrow the netbook if you wish, I cam drop it off at SJC Campus.

mpyhala Wed, 02/10/2010 - 07:22

The problem is due to the fact that your netbook screen resolution is too low. See here:

"Try one more thing for me.  Change the resolution of the PC to something at or over 1280 x 800."

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way around this as the netbooks simply do not provide the resolution required. :(

We can only hope that the next version of SWVMS16 will allow lower resolution screens.

znajmudd Wed, 02/10/2010 - 10:14

The max resolution in the Intel Atom N270 is 1024x768 - which is set. This does not work.

So yes - would be a good idea to have flexibility in screen resolutions in future release of SWVMS.

Also, if I can make another suggestion along these lines - please enable support for extended desktops - multiple screens. i.e. the SWVMS tool can only run on primary monitor (if you have more than one screens hooked to your PC), and can not be moved to an extended windows display.

So perhaps you can look into this support for future, cause most windows applications can be moved across extended desktop to other screens.

znajmudd Thu, 02/11/2010 - 13:18

Thanks for the link.

Sorry, may have mis-communicated here - what I meant to say earlier - was that the VMS Console application - can not be used or moved across multiple screens when using Windows Extended Display function.

i.e. you have 2 or 3 monitors (LCD / CRT / etc) connected to a single laptop / PC. Windows Extended Display allows you to move application screens (e.g. IE, Outlook, VLC Player) to other displays.

What I have found in SWVMS16 v1.2.1 is the Console can not be moved to another extended display screen.

Please confirm if this is the case, or if I may have installed improperly.

This Discussion

Related Content