Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to add devices in RME using "Import from file"

wipro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the task of getting inventory for a huge no of Cisco switches that doesn't have an SNMP configured but having a Telnet paswd & Enabled paswd.

Have created a .csv file ( attached) and tryingt to import thro RME-->Administration-->Inventory--->Import from file

I'm getting an warning message as "A fully qualified path and valid filename are required for this operation "

I have verified thrice file name,path & content / format are valid.

Your inputs to solve this would be of a great help for me.

Cheers,

Shiva

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Loading this file would be moot.  RME requires that all devices have at least SNMP read-only access before they can be managed.  Even if you were able to import it, you wouldn't be able to get inventory data.  On top of that, it appears you are using an obsolete version of RME which is no longer supported.

Thanks Joe for your comments..

Switches doesn't have any SNMP community. They can be accessible only thro' telnet paswd.

is there any way you can advise to get those switches managed in RME with a telnet & enable password.

Thank you in advance.

It seems you have CiscoWorks 2000 or LMS 2.1-
RME is working with device packages because different hardware needs to be handeled differently even for the same task (e.g. Config Management). So before RME can work with a device it must know which hardware type it is to classify it accordingly. This is done by a query of some snmp variables.

You said you want to get inventory information for these devices...
As far as I know, RME uses only snmp to get inventroy data, so even if you would get these devices available for a task - RME still needs the snmp read-only access.

Perhaps with RME having the "pre-deployed" device status (introduced in LMS 3.x?) I could imaging that you would be able to work with these devices by setting the snmp RO community with a NetConfig job and collecting inventory afterwards but I never tested it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.3/user/guide/device.html#wp1191338

No, this will not work.  RME goes off of sysObjectID to determine how to manage a device.  If this cannot be polled, then NOTHING can be used within RME.  One would first need to manually added at least an SNMP read-only community string on the devices before any version of RME would be able to manage them.

No, as I said, this is not possible in any version of RME.

as you were talking about plans for LMS 4.0 in another thread yet...

What about the idea of importing a device list that contains IP address telnet/ssh credentials. And then having the possibility to run a "standard" NetConfig Job to set the SNMP read-only community to prepare such devices to get managed?

It might be possible using the new Generic code in RME, but that would only work with IOS-like devices.  And by that, I mean IOS devices.  Even IOS-XR wouldn't work as it uses slightly different syntax.  That said, it may be hard to get this into LMS 4.0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: