cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS: Force Prepositioning a Windows Folder with all Files

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

Can anyone out there please confirm if prepositioning can be forced to start without a user requesting specific files?

thanks

anawaz

5 Replies 5

Eric Rose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

pre-positioning can be force if you create a scheduled pre-positioning rule within the central manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v413/configuration/guide/filesvr.html#wp1043516

Prepositioning

The prepositioning feature allows system administrators to proactively  "push" frequently used files from the central storage into the cache of  selected Edge WAEs. This operation provides users with faster first-time  file access, and makes more efficient use of available bandwidth. You  create preposition directives from the WAAS Central Manager GUI.

When an end user attempts to open a file that is not found in the Edge  WAE cache, the Edge WAE retrieves it across the WAN from the file server  where it is stored. Prepositioning is a feature that allows  administrators to push large, frequently accessed files from file  servers to selected Edge WAE caches according to a predefined schedule.  Through the proper use of prepositioning, administrators can allow users  to benefit from cache-level performance even during first-time access  of these files. Prepositioning improves WAN bandwidth utilization by  transferring heavy content when the network is otherwise idle (for  example, at night), which frees up bandwidth for other applications  during the day.

The WAAS Central Manager GUI allows administrators to create multiple,  overlapping preposition policies (each with its own schedule), a list of  target Edge WAEs, and defined time and size constraints

Eric,

I have read the definition of prepositioning in your post and really appreciate that. However, I do have some qtns on that.

1. proactively  "push" frequently used files

qtn. So what mechanism is used by WAAS using CIFS to select which files are to be prepositioned. In my original qtn I asked if I can force a PP so the documention isn't clear on this point. Think about it..  it's a contradiction is statement to say 'Push', when a particular file in a CIFS directory hasn't been access before. In my particular case the CIFS directory is 50GB, and my disk on the nm-wae is 160GB - utilized currently at 50%.

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/filesvr.html#Creating_a_Preposition_Directive>

A preposition directive allows you to determine which files should be proactively copied from CIFS file servers to the cache of selected Edge WAEs. Prepositioning enables you to take advantage of idle time on the WAN to transfer frequently accessed files to selected WAEs, where users can benefit from cache-level performance even during first-time access of these files.

2. From the central manager / prepostion settings, should I be able to browse to a cifs directory using this button?. Currently when I attempt to browse it results in a message as follows;   Could not access cifs://192.130.214.68/

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/filesvr.html#Creating_a_Preposition_Directive>

Click the Browse button to browse the directories on the file server. To navigate into a directory, click the file folder icon to the left of the directory name. Check the check box next to the directory that you want to export and then click the Select Directory button. The browse window allows you to choose multiple directories.

3. What else could be done to verify this is working as it should, the documentation appears to be a bit thin on this side.

4. From the cli is there any way to see what files have been prepositioned?

thanks

Ajaz

Hi,

anawaz wrote:

Eric,

I have read the definition of prepositioning in your post and really appreciate that. However, I do have some qtns on that.

qtn. So what mechanism is used by WAAS using CIFS to select which files are to be prepositioned. In my original qtn I asked if I can force a PP so the documention isn't clear on this point. Think about it..  it's a contradiction is statement to say 'Push', when a particular file in a CIFS directory hasn't been access before. In my particular case the CIFS directory is 50GB, and my disk on the nm-wae is 160GB - utilized currently at 50%.

Based on you drive space (160GB) i believe that you have the NME-522 partition for CIFS cache is 40GB.  Pre-positioning data is for transfering a file afterhours which would be  required in the remote office. The cache is also for workset and not  really for the entire storage that you have.

Based on the rule that you created - it is based on the metadata of the  content. The WAE is actually going to the Server to fetch the content  via CIFS.

anawaz wrote:

2. From the central manager / prepostion settings, should I be able to browse to a cifs directory using this button?. Currently when I attempt to browse it results in a message as follows;   Could not access cifs://192.130.214.68/

Click the Browse button to browse the directories on the file server. To navigate into a directory, click the file folder icon to the left of the directory name. Check the check box next to the directory that you want to export and then click the Select Directory button. The browse window allows you to choose multiple directories.

Yes you should be able to browse the directory of the server - Did you add the user information?What about if you try via a name instead of a IP address? Is DNS working on the WAE devices?

3. What else could be done to verify this is working as it should,  the documentation appears to be a bit thin on this side.

there is a status page for the pre-position rule that will tell you the current status of the rule.

4. From the  cli is there any way to see what files have been prepositioned?

no there isn't anyway to look at what files are pre-positioned on the device for security reasons.

Thanks

I hope this helps.

Eric

Eric,

In fact we have NME-WAE-502-K9. So how much diskspace is available for prepositioning and can this be increased if necessary.

thanks for your help so far on this dude..

Ajaz

The CIFS Disk Capacity is 25GB on the NME-502.The space can't be increased it is based on the device specifics.

Thanks

Eric

Remember:

If this answers your initial post, please mark are answered and with a 5.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: