Views
Helpful
Replies

h.323 for FXO Configuration

fieryhail
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a 3745 with VIC-2FXO's (non-battery reversal) and CUCM Business 6 using MGCP.  I need to change the VIC's over to the M1 version, (battery-reversal for North America) to supply Caller ID to the IP phones connected to the system.  I understand that Cisco does not support CallerID using FXO and MGCP.  I need to setup an h.323 config.  If anyone has any sample configurations or can help by pointing me to the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.  Also, post the IOS config end, I'm sure I will need to make some substantial changes in the CUCM configuration as well.  Once again, any suggestions on this are greatly appreciated.  Thank you all very much in advance.  What I will need to achieve in a nutshell as far as dialing is:

7 digit local dialing (I use 9 for PSTN access)

11 digit dialing (1+XXX+XXX+XXXX)

Emergency dialing

As well as have all calls come from the PSTN into the system. 

I have a basic understanding of dial-peers but still not as good with it yet as I'd like to be. 

Thanks again for any assistance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ronan,

Hope all is well

Just for interest sake;

Caller ID on FXO for MGCP

The Caller ID on FXO for MGCP feature provides caller ID on FXO for MGCP calls. However, this feature works with and is dependent on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager application and is not supported in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 or earlier. To determine if this feature is supported in your environment, see dependencies and other information in the Cisco Voice Gateway Router Interoperability with Cisco Unified Communications Manager data sheet (previously called Cisco Unified CallManager) located at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3115/products_data_sheets_list.html.

For more information about configuring caller ID, see the various caller-id commands included in the Cisco IOS Voice Command Reference at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_book.html and the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express Command Reference at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_cr.html.

From Dennis;

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/30076

And for your actual question;

H.323 Configuration Examples and TechNotes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ronan,

Hope all is well

Just for interest sake;

Caller ID on FXO for MGCP

The Caller ID on FXO for MGCP feature provides caller ID on FXO for MGCP calls. However, this feature works with and is dependent on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager application and is not supported in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0 or earlier. To determine if this feature is supported in your environment, see dependencies and other information in the Cisco Voice Gateway Router Interoperability with Cisco Unified Communications Manager data sheet (previously called Cisco Unified CallManager) located at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3115/products_data_sheets_list.html.

For more information about configuring caller ID, see the various caller-id commands included in the Cisco IOS Voice Command Reference at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_book.html and the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express Command Reference at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_cr.html.

From Dennis;

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/30076

And for your actual question;

H.323 Configuration Examples and TechNotes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for your response Rob.  I read through the documentation and am still nowhere, except without a working ohone system.  I must be extremely desne.  With MGCP I have an Attendant DN 1301 that routes that calls inside CUCM to the AA and then subsequent hunt groups etc.  What I am trying to do is to have calls come in from the PSTN on FXO ports (with CallerID) and have them go to CUCM DN 1301.  Basically have it work the same way MGCP did.  I have set it up numerous ways on the router all with no success.  I'm attaching a portion of my config here.  I know this is probably wrong but it's in a state of flux and quite honestly at this point I don't know what to do.

voice-port 4/0/0

battery-reversal answer

echo-cancel suppressor

no comfort-noise

timing hookflash-out 50

connection plar opx 1001

threshold noise -90

caller-id enable

!

voice-port 4/0/1

battery-reversal answer

echo-cancel suppressor

no comfort-noise

timing hookflash-out 50

connection plar opx 4390

threshold noise -60

caller-id enable

dial-peer voice 1 pots
destination-pattern 9T
direct-inward-dial
port 4/0/0
dial-peer voice 2 pots
destination-pattern 9T
direct-inward-dial
port 4/0/1
dial-peer voice 4390 voip
destination-pattern 4...
session target ipv4:172.16.1.3
codec g711ulaw
dial-peer voice 1301 voip
destination-pattern 1301
session target ipv4:172.16.1.3
codec g711ulaw
I have tried several variations on this.  With and without connection plar opx.  Also have setup an h.323 gateway in CUCM as well as the route patterns etc.  I'm pretty cure that is right but any time I try to dial out I get a busty signal.  Due I believe to an improperly (probably very) gateway.  When I run the debug on the router for voice dialpeers and dial infrom the PSTN to 8455921626 (the analog line connected to 4/0/0 I hear ringing and ringing but never an answer.  The debug info is here:
000120: *Oct 19 18:48:33.303 GMT: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/DPM/dpAssociateIncomingPeerCore:
   Calling Number=8455922824, Called Number=, Voice-Interface=0x66A7222C,
   Timeout=TRUE, Peer Encap Type=ENCAP_VOICE, Peer Search Type=PEER_TYPE_VOICE,
   Peer Info Type=DIALPEER_INFO_SPEECH
000121: *Oct 19 18:48:33.303 GMT: //-1/xxxxxxxxxxxx/DPM/dpAssociateIncomingPeerCore:
   Result=Success(0) after DP_MATCH_PORT; Incoming Dial-peer=1
000122: *Oct 19 18:48:33.307 GMT: //-1/BA0471C4802F/DPM/dpMatchPeersCore:
   Calling Number=, Called Number=1301, Peer Info Type=DIALPEER_INFO_SPEECH
000123: *Oct 19 18:48:33.307 GMT: //-1/BA0471C4802F/DPM/dpMatchPeersCore:
   Match Rule=DP_MATCH_DEST; Called Number=1301
000124: *Oct 19 18:48:33.307 GMT: //-1/BA0471C4802F/DPM/dpMatchPeersCore:
   Result=Success(0) after DP_MATCH_DEST
000125: *Oct 19 18:48:33.307 GMT: //-1/BA0471C4802F/DPM/dpMatchPeersMoreArg:
   Result=SUCCESS(0)
   List of Matched Outgoing Dial-peer(s):
     1: Dial-peer Tag=1301
Not sure if it's only insult to injury but I probably have the CallerID setup incorrectly also, instead of the incoming number all I see are the -1/xxxxxxxxxx/.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  I'm just so confused with this I don't know where to run next.  I think that once I can get inbound to go into CUCM that will be a big step forward.  Then to setup CUCM to allow for outbound calling.  I think that the dial-peers voice 1 pots with a destination pattern of 9T should be fine for that but apparently there is something wrong there also.  Thanks again for all help!

Ok, update on this.

I redid the gateway config inside of CUCM and reset it as well as the router itself.  Now I can make outbound calls to the PSTN.  Also, I can now make inbound calls to the DN 1301.  I believe now I need to add dtmf settings to allow digits pressed from the PSTN to be recognized in CUCM.  As it stands currently I can press numbers on the phone all day and nothing goes through.  I'll keep working on it.  Any suggestions of course are always welcome.

Ok,

I believe I have it all figured out now.  I created a trunk group and put all the FXO's into it.  Then I got rid of all existing dial-peers and started fresh.  I created ones for emergency dialing, X11 (information etc), 7 digit local, 10 digit, long distance with '1' prefix, and international.  Then created a single voip dial-peer 1301 and setup the destination pattern as 13.. and setup the dtmf-relay options there.  I setup plar opx to 1301 on all the fxo interfaces.  I've tried numerous test calls in and out of the system.  CallerID works perfectly also.  I wish there was a way to pass the inside extension through CID but don't think that is possible.  If it is please advise as to how. 

I don't know if anyone is interested in an example of this config from the IOS end, if they are I'll be happy to supply it.  Thanks again Rob for your help.  Determination and a healthy dose of perseverance definitely helped get it done.  LOTS of reading also but I feel I know how things work much better now than before.  Thanks again!

Everything seems to work great, with one issue.  It seems that once a call is established, after about 3-5 minutes the call is dropped and on my end (with the IP phone) I get a fast busy signal.  The call is disconnected.  This never happened with MGCP, but appears to be happening now with the h.323 setup.  Any ideas on why calls are dropping all of a sudden?  It happens with alarming regularity.  The router usage is very low, no ideas what is going on.  Suggestions are welcome.

I'd be interested in the config.  I have no idea why the calls would be disconnecting like that tho... may want to open a TAC.

We're in the same boat with MGCP and callerID.  We looked into switching the FXO's to H323 but ran into some roadblocks, so I'd definitely like to see what your final config looks like.

We're converting the FXS ports to H323 first as we had a lot of issues with analog devices connecting to the PSTN, and there's another issue we ran into where our fax machines can't dial long distance - I got some feedback from a user that the fax machine sounded like it was asking for an access-code.  I know the different permission levels in CallManager and how you can setup an access-code to int'l dial etc, but I don't know how that applies to H323 and the router configs.  The long-distance dial-peer is very simple:

dial-peer voice 91 pots
trunkgroup ALLPORTS
destination-pattern 91[2-9]..[2-9]......
forward-digits 11

I thought that's all that was needed.  Perhaps somewhere else we're expecting an access-code, or maybe there's somewhere that we have to "unlock" long distance dialing for H323?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was able to solve the issue.  The issue was dealing with the battery reversal.  The battery reversal has to be off.  As far as a config, I'll post some of mine up.  So far I have things working well with CUCM using an h.323 gateway.  If you need more help, feel free to e-mail me at rmcgurn@rcserveny.com and I'll see what I can do to further assist you.

voice-port 4/0/0
trunk-group FXO1
no battery-reversal
input gain 14
echo-cancel suppressor
no comfort-noise
timing hookflash-out 50
connection plar opx 1000
threshold noise -30
station-id number 8455921626
caller-id enable
!
voice-port 4/0/1
trunk-group FXO1
no battery-reversal
input gain 14
echo-cancel suppressor
no comfort-noise
timing hookflash-out 50
connection plar opx 1000
threshold noise -30
station-id number 8455922825
caller-id enable
!
voice-port 4/1/0
trunk-group FXO1
no battery-reversal
input gain 14
echo-cancel suppressor
no comfort-noise
timing hookflash-out 50
connection plar opx 1000
threshold noise -30
station-id number 8455921515
caller-id enable
!        
voice-port 4/1/1
!        
!        
no mgcp package-capability res-package
no mgcp package-capability fxr-package
no mgcp timer receive-rtcp
!        
!        
!        
!        
dial-peer voice 200 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 9[2-8]11
forward-digits 3
!        
dial-peer voice 9911 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 9911
forward-digits 3
!        
dial-peer voice 911 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 911
prefix 911
!        
dial-peer voice 201 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 9[2-9]......
!        
dial-peer voice 202 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 9[2-9]..[2-9]......
!        
dial-peer voice 203 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 91[2-9]..[2-9]......
prefix 1
!        
dial-peer voice 204 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 9011T
prefix 011
!        
dial-peer voice 205 pots
trunkgroup FXO1
destination-pattern 8[2-9]......
!        
dial-peer voice 1000 voip
preference 1
destination-pattern 1000
session target ipv4:172.16.1.2
dtmf-relay h245-signal h245-alphanumeric
codec g711ulaw
no vad 

I hope this helps.  I found it to be a vexing situation.  Also in CUCM you have to make sure that your gateway is setup as an h.323 as well as ensure that all route groups push to that gateway.

Take "debug vpm signal".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: