cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two switches causes network issues

ericshultz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with 4 daisy chained Catalyst 2950 and 2960 switches that has been working for years.  I built a new network with a different ISP with the same internal address space.  I thought that I could connect the two networks together, then move my users over to start using the new ISP and then disconnect the old ISP.  When I connect a switch from the old network to a switch on the new network I start having problems.  Traffic from the new network going to the old is sporadic and then eventually (10 to 15 minutes) servers on the old network can't see each other.  I have STP turned off because I don't have any redundant loops.  Should I be able to do this and if so what would cause this result?

Eric

7 Replies 7

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

How can you be using the same address space on both networks when you connect them together?  You could always run wireshark or span a port to see whats going on.  When you ping do you see packet loss anywhere?  Could the arp tables on on the old switches need cleared when you connect a new sw?

I used the same private address range but didn't use any of the same addresses.  When I ping from a workstation in the "new" switch to a device on the old it is hit or miss, sometimes none are dropped and sometimes all are, and sometime some are dropped.  When a ping does answer the first one always has a high time.

Hi Eric

Do you have any network diagram or base architecture , explaining your setup ? do you have the two datacenters connected over a layer 2 trunk ? are you moving your devices from old datacenter to new datacenter physically ?

Raj

Just one datacenter, switches are right beside eash other.  They are connected to seperate routers, I just attached to two switches together with a cross-over cable.

I might not have a clear picture of this in my head, but per your diagram, wouldnt your routers have issues with

having the same configs on them, so when you connect the two networks together, how does your network know what path to chose?  Or do you have just one router onsite?  From the diagram, looks like you have two when you connect that cable.

Hi Eric

Have you configured the interconnect between switches, as Layer 2 ? what is the default gateways of the PCs behind the old network and the new network ? one simple way is to configure HSRP between the two switches and configure the default route for the PCs as the virtual IPs between the old and new datacenters.. by doing this your migration from switch 1 to switch 2 will be easy and transparent.. but are these layer 3 switcehs ? if you have drops on the interconnect link, can you confirm if the link doesnt have any errors or CRC on it ? can you post show interface and show ip route from the new switch ?

Raj

qingfengmm
Level 1
Level 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card