cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

12410 ios

abakhashwin
Level 1
Level 1

we have internet router 12410 it will be used as internet gateway (runing bgp & ospf) what do recommend to use IOS or XR IOS,it will be just for internet peering with global internet service provider.

regards

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Abaksah,

for BGP peering on the internet I would install an IOS image that supports 4 byte AS number that will may become common in the future.

Releases 12.0(32)S11, 12.0(33)S, 12.0(32)SY

Cisco 12000 Series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6554/ps6599/data_sheet_C78-521821.html

IOS XR requires PRP2 or better it cannot be installed on PRP1.

To be noted PRP3 just released will support only IOS XR.

Migration from IOS to IOS XR is not fast and easy, so if the system is not in production already you might consider if it has PRP2 to migrate it before putting it in the network.

A very important point to be able to perform migration is to configure an ip address on one management LAN on the PRP(s), because migration requires to put the device in Rommon and then to perform FTP transfers.

Also memory chips of linecards may need to be upgraded and also the firmware.

The firmware follows the IOS image so an upgrade to one of the last IOS images may be needed just to be able to upgrade the various firmware.

see the procedure for migrating to IOS XR 3.8

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.8/migration/user/guide/up38upinst.html

to be noted: if you buy it now probably you can get a system that is already IOS XR and upgrading to IOS XR 3.8 is easier

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

it is new installation but the customer does not have trained staff on XR, my question is it realy needed to migrate router will function just for interner gateway (just BGP peers with international internet service provider, and ospf with internal network) to XR IOS.?

what i heared that there are many issue with the XR and still not fully tested,also the router to boot need long time not like the standard IOS.?

What is the advantage in such case (internet peering) from deplying XR IOS over standard IOS?.

is the 4 byte AS number supported now in the XR IOS or not?  , because this feature is very important now for BGP internet peering.

Regards,

Ahmed

Hello Ahmed,

support of BGP 4 byte ASN has been introduced since IOS XR 3.4.0 for 12000 XR

Release 3.4.0

The following features were supported:

Four-byte autonomous system (AS) number

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.8/routing/configuration/guide/rc38bgp.html

>> also the router to boot need long time not like the standard IOS.?

this is true for a full reload, switchover between PRP is good.

>> my question is it realy needed to migrate router will function just for interner gateway (just BGP peers with international internet service provider, and ospf with internal network) to XR IOS.?

IOS XR is not strictly needed.

I agree with some of your concerns, just take in account that Cisco will stop to deliver new IOS images for 12000 series in the future.

I think you can suggest to your customer a C12410 with two PRP2 take care of having installed on it enough RAM to install IOS XR in the future (2GB)

To be IOS XR ready also linecards should have 1GB of RAM installed.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi,

is the 12000-SIP-601 & 12000-SIP-401  by default have 1 GB Ram or more?.

and if we have 2xPRP2 installed in the same Chassis running IOS , is it easier to migrate them to XR IOS without reload the router?.

Hello,

no having two PRPs is just a measure of redundancy: you cannot migrate one PRP  to IOS XR while the other manages the chassis.

Sorry for having created confusion.

this is part of show diag 0 on one GSR with IOS XR 3.8.0

show diag 0/0/CPU0 | inc Memory
Sat Feb  6 17:38:41.450 MET MEST
        Route Memory: MEM-LC5-1024=
        Packet Memory: MEM-LC5-PKT-512=

so it has a route memory of 1 GB and a packet memory of 512 MB

this looks to be default memory values not  the result of an upgrade:

Memory

Route memory: 1G

Packet memory: 256 MB in; 256 MB out

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps167/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028085a.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

the required ram to be in the LC  to be minimum 1 G ,is it the route memory,or packet memory?

Hello Ahmed,

the route memory has this requirement, packet memory can be less as in the show I've provided.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco