cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2TPv3 - How does it know to go to other location?

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a L2TPv3 tunnel running over my layer 3 MPLS cloud.

I have a test laptop connected on one end of it with an IP.

When I successfully ping another IP at my other location on the other end of the tunnel how does it know the IP address is on the other side?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Trippi,

L2TPv3 provides just a point-to-point L2 transport service that connects two distant switches

on site A PC1sends out an ARP request to resolve PC2 IP address. The request is sent inside a L2 broadcast frame.

The broadcast frame is propagated everywhere including the L2TPv3 pipe.

PC2 answers  to ARP request. From this moment on IP communication can work and IP packets travel inside ethernet frames that are carried inside L2TPv3 packets.

Switch on site A learns PC2 MAC address is out port of  router configured for L2TPv3 on site A.

On their turn the L2TPv3 packet is encapsulated in an MPLS frame inside the L3 VPN service provider.

IP|Eth|L2TPv3|IP| something to provider ---> IP|Eth|L2TPv3|IP|MPLS --- other side.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Trippi,

L2TPv3 provides just a point-to-point L2 transport service that connects two distant switches

on site A PC1sends out an ARP request to resolve PC2 IP address. The request is sent inside a L2 broadcast frame.

The broadcast frame is propagated everywhere including the L2TPv3 pipe.

PC2 answers  to ARP request. From this moment on IP communication can work and IP packets travel inside ethernet frames that are carried inside L2TPv3 packets.

Switch on site A learns PC2 MAC address is out port of  router configured for L2TPv3 on site A.

On their turn the L2TPv3 packet is encapsulated in an MPLS frame inside the L3 VPN service provider.

IP|Eth|L2TPv3|IP| something to provider ---> IP|Eth|L2TPv3|IP|MPLS --- other side.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: