links bandwidth for video streaming

Unanswered Question

Hello all

I have the following scenario: a Catalyst 3560, a H.263 video encoder sending two multicast video streams (2 Mbps each, theorically), an IP host (let's say host A) receiving both video streams, connected to the switch at 10 Mbps full duplex, and another IP host (host B) sending UDP traffic (about 1,7 Mbps) to the video receiving host.

With those settings I find that having an aggregated traffic rate of about 5,7 Mbps on a 10 Mbps port, video images get corrupted when there is movement in the cameras. So I enabled Qos and I was able to reduce the period of the image corruption after the movement has finished, but I'm not able to fix that. I'm a newbie in video streams and QoS so I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I have also the following questions:

• I guess that the 2Mbps in the encoder configuration is just a mean rate, having peaks much higher that are delayed when traversing the 10 Mbps port and ¿lost? (no packets discarded, I think, at the switch) or discarded by the host A.
  • do I have to over-dimension the links bandwidth when using video streams? In this case, it seems that link is not at full capacity (10Mbps vs. 5,7Mbps aggregated bitrate).

Thankyou very much in advance for your help.

Regards,

Juan.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content