Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA hangs at "booting system please wait"

amarr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

When I try to boot my ASA5550 it hangs at "booting system please wait". I have tried to reseting the ASA but this doesn't help. Can anyone give me an idea of what to try as I cannot get to the rommon.

Anthony

12 Replies 12

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Seems like the ASA may not have an image to boot into.

Try this procedure:

http://www.tech21century.com/using-the-rommon-to-load-a-new-image-on-cisco-asa-firewall/

Once done. Issue "copy tftp flash:" one more time and make sure the code is in the flash "dir flash:"

-KS

Thanks Kusankar,

The problem it that I cannot get into rommon when I press the esc key. The ASA just dosn't responds.

I would try another computer and console in and try the same and if you cannot issue a break using "esc" key then, the unit may be bad and you may have to file an RMA to get it replaced with you have valid smartnet.

-KS

Hallo Poonguzhali

We bought ASA5550 with similar issue.

Can you tell me what's RMA procedure and how long it takes?

Joshua Walton
Level 1
Level 1

I get the same problem after upgrading three ASA 5540s from 1GB to 2GB of RAM in order to load 8.3 code.

None of the firewalls will boot.

moubtahijnabil
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, my cisco ASA does not start and remains planted on "booting system please wait"

even "rommon" mode is inaccessible. you have found a solution?

moubtahijnabil
Level 1
Level 1

problem solved !!!!!

it can be a RAM problem, as was the case for me. the electric interruption has burned  RAM memory.I removed it and the firewall is running normally with the remaining RAM.

Nabil

ASA 5550 hangs at "booting system please wait"

the problem solved when remove the burned RAM, now I worked with 3 GB of RAM instead of 4 GB.

Ihsan Alhasany.

I had the same problem on two ASA 5550's.  Would just boot loop trying to load code after "booting system please wait".  Replaced the memory and it booted fine.

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

I had the same symptom from a different cause.  My ASA was hung on "booting system, please wait".  I popped in some new RAM, and it came up.  +5 for you MOUBTAHIJ.

mrjohnlockett
Level 1
Level 1

I made a quick video on how to resolve this issue, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzOJd4achw

Well done John. Your video quite helpful. I'd be needing a new RAM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: