cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS heat map doesn't reflect actual RF pattern

mikeb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - getting around to configuring my WCS (5.2) heat maps.  I've loaded the maps, scaled them and added the APs.  When I generate a heat map the RF indicators are perfect concentric circles.  I thought RRM would show me the indicated signal strength based on readings from clients and adjacent APs.  Am I missing a setting?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

rcullum
Level 1
Level 1

I believe the WCS heatmaps are only predictive. If you want to get a more accurate representation, then use Map Editor to add in attenuation figures for walls, windows etc. You could also do a walking point-to-point RF calibration to create a new RF model for your floor.

Mike -

There is improvement on the way for this issue as Cisco has asked partners AirMagnet and Ekahau to provide the capability to import actual site survey measurements into WCS.

Regards,
Scott

Elliott Shawd
Level 1
Level 1

Be sure to configure the appropriate antennas in WCS. If they aren't listed or you didn't use Cisco antennas, choose an antenna with a similar dBi.

jeff.lepp
Level 1
Level 1

Once you have placed your floor plan in WCS and have scaled it correctly, be sure to add your access points and any antennas you might be using and be sure you orient them properly on the map.

The next thing you need to do it make sure you go in to the map editor and take the time to add the attenuation to the walls, and object on the map. Once have done all of this you will see a much more accurate RF reading in your WCS application.

Hope this helps,

This assumes you've gone on site and actually measured the attenuation of the walls b/c it isn't of much value to guess.  Then you have to hope you don't exceed the 50 wall limit of WCS, unless that's been increased as of late.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: