Views
Helpful
Replies

Remotely viewing Gatekeeper calls in real-time

marino.ventin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an H.323 Gatekeeper service running on a 2811 router.  I have 11 clusters on my IP WAN which all use this Gatekeeper to control our inter-site calls between the clusters.  The Gatekeeper works fine and has been in production for close to 1 year.

Currently I have no visibility into how many calls are active on the Gatekeeper.  I can log into the GK's CLI and issue a "show gatekeeper calls" command to see this information on-demand, but I'd like to have a Syslog (or RADIUS, or something similar) server set up which I can glance at to see how many calls are active on the Gatekeeper.

Has anyone found a way to do this?  I've read some docs on Gateway Accounting via AAA/RADIUS, but I'm not familiar with RADIUS so I cannot understand if this method will give me the real-time visibility that I require.  The only way I can think of to perform this via syslog is to monitor output from "debug h225 asn1", but one single call through the Gatekeeper triggers somewhere around 120 lines of h225 asn1 output.  This makes it very difficult to quickly identify the difference between a call set up, a call teardown, or a RAS keepalive.

None of the other debug commands I've tried are giving me the right info in a small amount of text output.  I'd also be open to use a network monitoring system like WhatsUp or OpManager, or any other offering.  I'll consider any methods to view real-time Gatekeeper call information.

Thanks,

Marino

1 Reply 1

Alex Park
Level 1
Level 1

Have you looked at MRTG (or PRTG for the commercial version) and the Mib CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB?

You may need to try a few different objects to find the best for your needs.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: