Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-To-Site VPN using Private IP

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an ASA 5505 configured with Site-To-Site VPN to an ISR at headquarters (Remote Site to headquarters). The VLAN2 int is configured with a public IP to the Internet router .  This public IP was given to us by the client, where we are leasing the office spce from, but now the client will be changing data providers and won't give me a public IP to use but he would provide me with a private IP. My question is it possible to use a private IP to re-establish the Site-To-Site VPN connecting to the ISR at heaquarters?

Thanks in advance,

sK

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

skhirbash wrote:

Hi,

I have an ASA 5505 configured with Site-To-Site VPN to an ISR at headquarters (Remote Site to headquarters). The VLAN2 int is configured with a public IP to the Internet router .  This public IP was given to us by the client, where we are leasing the office spce from, but now the client will be changing data providers and won't give me a public IP to use but he would provide me with a private IP. My question is it possible to use a private IP to re-establish the Site-To-Site VPN connecting to the ISR at heaquarters?

Thanks in advance,

sK

sK    

If the site-to-site VPN is over the internet then you need to have a public IP so that the packets can be routed to your VPN device. If the site-to-site VPN is over a private network then yes you could use a private IP address as long as that IP is routable across the private network.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card