cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Term question : carrier-class packet transport

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

What does "carrier-class packet transport" mean?  I am thinking maybe its how the heavy hitters (XO, SBC, Level 3) move packets on the internet, but I am guessing.

Thanks

Jimmy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What does "carrier-class packet transport" mean?  I am thinking maybe its how the heavy hitters (XO, SBC, Level 3) move packets on the internet, but I am guessing.

Thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

From transformation to IP-based packet transport network (PTN) has garnered industry-wide attention as the most expedient remedy. PTN is generally regarded as a connection-oriented transport network technology. Based on IP technology, it is applicable to a multi-service environment and capable of accessing, converging and transporting "TDM/ATM over Packet" and "packet-only" services.

Nevertheless, IP technology possesses certain innate drawbacks that negatively influence its position as a carrier-class service transport mechanism

The features that PTN technology requires to render it carrier-class are detailed below.

1) Highly precise network synchronization
2) End-to-End QoS guarantees

3) SDH-like OAM and network protection

4) Uniform multi-service transport and management platform

Check out the below link for more information hope that clear out your query !!

http://www.huawei.com/publications/view.do?id=2983&cid=5409&pid=61

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

From transformation to IP-based packet transport network (PTN) has garnered industry-wide attention as the most expedient remedy. PTN is generally regarded as a connection-oriented transport network technology. Based on IP technology, it is applicable to a multi-service environment and capable of accessing, converging and transporting "TDM/ATM over Packet" and "packet-only" services.

Nevertheless, IP technology possesses certain innate drawbacks that negatively influence its position as a carrier-class service transport mechanism

The features that PTN technology requires to render it carrier-class are detailed below.

1) Highly precise network synchronization
2) End-to-End QoS guarantees

3) SDH-like OAM and network protection

4) Uniform multi-service transport and management platform

Check out the below link for more information hope that clear out your query !!

http://www.huawei.com/publications/view.do?id=2983&cid=5409&pid=61

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Thank you for your answer.  Ironically, I work (just started) for a comany that does backhauls in Mircrowaves (Dragaonwaves, Huawei, and a few others) so I am being exposed to alot of new technologies...and loving it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card