Views
Helpful
Replies

Change IP

RobinReumers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I first unpacked my SRW2016, I tried to connect to it using 192.168.1.254 but I could not get in, it is now installed in my network (where we have IP's 10.0.2.1-10.0.2.255) so there is no way I can log into the switch. I also do not have any serial port to connect it to. What would be the way to log into the switch (hopefully using the browser: 80) to change its IP?

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

When you say "I could not get in", what was the IP address of the PC that you were using to try and get in?  If it was somewhere on the 10.0.2.0/24 subnet, then I am not surprised the switch did not respond - it probably did not have a route back to the 10 network.  I don't know the SRW2016 switch, but is it supposed to respond to 192.168.1.254 out of the box?

Try configuring a PC with an IP address somewhere on the 192.168.1.x network, and see if you can get into the switch from that.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

When I first unpacked my SRW2016, I tried to connect to it using 192.168.1.254 but I could not get in, it is now installed in my network (where we have IP's 10.0.2.1-10.0.2.255) so there is no way I can log into the switch. I also do not have any serial port to connect it to. What would be the way to log into the switch (hopefully using the browser: 80) to change its IP?

Hi,

As you said now the ip address is in between 10.0.2.1- 10.0.2.255,now if you know the ip address of the switch (most probabaly in the same range in which your new lan is right now ) then you can directly telnet into the switch and then you can change the ip address of the switch but it is not recommedned to change the ip address of the switch which is in production and if at all you get the ip address of the switch you would need username and password to log in to switch as genrally network administrators used to configure.

Hope to help

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card