Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk Groups

tiger_401
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I m running cisco router 3845. I have 28 fxo ports. Out of these 28 ports i need 6 dedicated ports for outgoing calls on priority and 6 ports for incoming only.

Please guide me how i can accomlish this task.

Regards,

Malik.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Malik,

Glad that the configs helped.  To check the trunk groups to make sure you have things assigned the way you want you can use the following commands:

Checking the Config to see what you added:

iecucme01#sh runn | i voice-port |trunk-group
voice-port 0/3/0:23
voice-port 0/1/0
trunk-group mytrunkgroup 1
voice-port 0/1/1
trunk-group mytrunkgroup 2

Checking the Dial-peers to confirm assignment:

iecucme01#show dial-peer voice summ
dial-peer hunt 0
             AD                                    PRE PASS                OUT
TAG    TYPE  MIN  OPER PREFIX    DEST-PATTERN      FER THRU SESS-TARGET    STAT PORT
91051  pots  up   up             9T               0                      up   trunkgroup mytrunkgroup

Checking the trunk group

iecucme01#show trunk group

Trunk group: mytrunkgroup

<...stuff deleted...>

Hope that helps.  As far as contact information, you can reach me through the netpro profile or the contact information located on NetCraftsmen.net or at my blog.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Malik,

The approach you need to take depends on the signaling protocol you are using for the gateway in question.  In both cases, the method for reserving the 6 inbound-only trunks for ingress calling is to not include them in any outbound call paths.

With MGCP, your call routing would be controlled by the CUCM dial plan configurations.  The specifics on the configurations needed will depend on what exactly you wish to accomplish.  But the idea is you will take the six (6) trunks you wish to group together and assign them to a route group.  Then you would assign the route group to a route list.  Finally, you assign the route list to the route pattern:

• Route Pattern: 9911
    • Route List:  EmergencyRL
      • Route Group:  EmergencyRG
        • RG member 1:  analog interface 1
        • RG member 2: analog interface 2
        • etc.

With H.323 or SIP, you would leverage the voice port configurations and the dial-peer configurations to designate a trunk group.  So, something like this:

voice-port 0/1/0

trunk-group MyTrunkGroup 1

!

voice-port 0/1/1

trunk-group MyTrunkGroup 2

!

voice-port 0/2/0

trunk-group MyTrunkGroup 3

!

! dial peers

dial-peer voice 9101 pots

destination-pattern 9911

forward-digits 3

trunkgroup MyTrunkGroup

!

Basically, you have "bundled" the voice-ports into a trunk group called MyTrunkGroup.  The numerical designation after the trunk-group assignment (e.g. trunk-group MyTrunkGroup 1) specifies a preference (lower value is more preferred).

Thus far we only discussed solutions for your egress routing.  For ingress, you will need to rely on your carrier and how you provisioned the trunks to achieve the objective of only using those six trunks for ingress.  However, you can ensure that your configuration (CUCM and/or gateway configurations) do not use the ingress trunks for egress calling simply by excluding the ingress trunks from outbound call path selections.

Now, your post mentioned "...outgoing calls on priority".  I am not sure what you mean by this.  If you are simply referring to priority of trunk selection then I think that the two examples cover this adequately.  If you are referring pre-emption and priority via MLPP then you may want to take a look at the following:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_1_2/ccmcfg/b02mlppd.html

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_1_2/ccmfeat/fsmlpp.html#wpxref73182

Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. That really great. Please find attched my current configuration...can you please guide me what changes i have to made to accomplish this task. Your consideration in this regard will highly be commendable.

anxioulsy waiting for your reply...

Regards,

Malik.

Malik,

I am not sure exactly what you are looking to do.  In your original post you said that you wanted to specify six trunks for outgoing calls (exclusively).  I am not sure which six trunks you are referring to as you have a trunk group and you have it assigned to 19 voice-ports and two dial-peers.  For sake of time, I will take a wild guess here.

If you are truly using all 19 voice-ports for outgoing...

Then you just need to determine the hunt sequence you want to use for outbound calls.  Then, assign a preference to the trunk group config under the voice port.  Like so:

voice-port 0/0/0

trunk-group Outside 1

voice-port 0/0/1

trunk-group Outside 2

voice-port 0/0/3

trunk-group Outside 3

...and so on...

It is important to understand the physical termination of your trunks and the sequence you wish to hunt through trunks.

If you are looking to break outgoing ports into two trunk groups...

Then you simply create another trunk-group:

!

trunk group Outside

trunk group OutsidePriority

!

Then assign the different trunk groups to your ports according to your design.  So, for example:

voice-port 0/0/0

trunk-group OutsidePriority 1

voice-port  0/0/1

trunk-group Outside 1

voice-port 0/0/3

trunk-group OutsidePriority 2

...and so on....

Then, if you are looking to use both trunk groups but prefer one over the other you can use dial-peer configs like so:

dial-peer voice 1001 pots
trunkgroup OutsidePriority
description ***Outside Route****
preference 1
destination-pattern .T

!

dial-peer voice 1002 pots
  trunkgroup Outside
  description ***Outside Route****
  preference 2
  destination-pattern .T

!

In the above dial-peer config, both dial-peers trigger on the same pattern but 1001 is used first due to preference.  Within OutsidePriority, the actual voice-port used is specified by the local preference you assigned to the port when you added it to the trunk group.

Anyway, without more info on what you are trying to do the above is my best guess.

Regards,

Bill

-

Hi Bill,

I am really grateful for your post. I followed your configuration. And its working fine. I have also attached my current configuration. I have removed the first 6 ports out of the trunk group so that they can be used for incoming. Can you please tell me with which commands i can check whether i have accomplish the required task.

Can you please tell me how i can contact you in future if i have any scenario to discuss.

Thanks,

Malik

Malik,

Glad that the configs helped.  To check the trunk groups to make sure you have things assigned the way you want you can use the following commands:

Checking the Config to see what you added:

iecucme01#sh runn | i voice-port |trunk-group
voice-port 0/3/0:23
voice-port 0/1/0
trunk-group mytrunkgroup 1
voice-port 0/1/1
trunk-group mytrunkgroup 2

Checking the Dial-peers to confirm assignment:

iecucme01#show dial-peer voice summ
dial-peer hunt 0
             AD                                    PRE PASS                OUT
TAG    TYPE  MIN  OPER PREFIX    DEST-PATTERN      FER THRU SESS-TARGET    STAT PORT
91051  pots  up   up             9T               0                      up   trunkgroup mytrunkgroup

Checking the trunk group

iecucme01#show trunk group

Trunk group: mytrunkgroup

<...stuff deleted...>

Hope that helps.  As far as contact information, you can reach me through the netpro profile or the contact information located on NetCraftsmen.net or at my blog.

Regards,
Bill

thanks bill thanks a lottttttttttt....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: