Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup problem with LMS 3.0 on Solaris

benjo.rulloda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm encountering problems with LMS 3.0 when I try to do a backup. After you hit OK on the window that says "Do you want to backup now?", an error would pop up saying: "Enter a new directory name or ask the system administrator of the Ciscoworks Common Services server to make the directory accessible to user casuser", thus I cannot proceed with the backup process. When I do backup, my login privilege is admin. Even tried to do backup on the same partition as my CSCOpx directory but to no avail.

Appreciate your help on this guys. Our LMS 3.0 runs on Solaris platform. Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It can provided the owner of the directory has write access.  To make sure, you can do:

chmod 0700 DIRECTORY

chown casuser DIRECTORY

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure the backup directory has write access to casuser.  Also, make sure you do NOT use /opt/CSCOpx/backup for your backup directory.

It's best if the backup directory is owned by casuser, and lives outside of /opt/CSCOpx.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your prompt response. By the way, what is a casuser? Is he also one of the user that can be found on the Local User Setup on Common Services? The scenario here is that, I am not the one who installed the Ciscoworks LMS 3.0 on the client side, so I am not aware on how they did the installation procedure for the application. I remember assigning casuser password during installation on our other clients that has LMS 3.0.

Will the write access on the backup directory for the casuser be done by the Solaris root administrator?

Thanks for your help.

Casuser is the sandbox user which owns the files LMS installs (as well as the account under which most LMS processes run).  Since the Apache and Tomcat processes run as casuser, that user must be able to write to the backup directory.  The write access needs to be granted by the Solaris admin (i.e. one with root access).

Thanks again Joe. I will relay this to the client that administer the Solaris server.

I am not familiar on how to go about giving write access on Solaris. Appreciate it if you can teach me how. Will the client see a user named "casuser"  when he does this?

The command will be something like:

chown casuser BACKUP_DIR

Where BACKUP_DIR is the name of the backup directory.

Thanks again Joe. Will update you once the client set up a schedule for the activity.

Hi Joe,

Will the "chown casuser BACKUP_DIRECTORY" command give write access to casuser on the backup directory?

It can provided the owner of the directory has write access.  To make sure, you can do:

chmod 0700 DIRECTORY

chown casuser DIRECTORY

Hi Joe,

It worked. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: