cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch log save and Redundant Power System 2300 (RPS 2300)

DejanMilicevic
Level 1
Level 1

We have several 2960 an a two 3750 switches. They are on its own power supply, and also on Redundant Power System 2300 - max 6 switches on one RPS2300 (it has one power supply for it self). When I turn of main power for switches, RPS takes only one who is continuing to work without any problem and others are are down. I have two questions:

1. How to save log on Cisco switches-after restart I can't see previous events? Do I need Syslog server (how to configure), or can the switch save log in its memory? I want to see what is going on in the moment when RPS start to supply switch. How to export this log int txt format on local PC?
  2. Why RPS takes only one switch and not all six (they are advertising 750W), or am I doing something wrong. 3750 has a way to config priority but all other switch are dependent on rps cable slot.

Thanks in advance ...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How to save log on Cisco switches-after restart I can't seeprevious events? Do I need Syslog server (how to configure), or can theswitch save log in its memory? I want to see what is going on in themoment when RPS start to supply switch. How to export this log int txtformat on local PC?

The switch can not save it's log after a reboot. You will need to send the logs to a syslog server. Here's a link on how to configure syslog. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/intsolns/as5xipmo/sysmgt.htm#xtocid4  Syslog is in plain-text readable format, so if you watch the events come in, you'll be able to read them real-time. Kiwi Syslog is a good choice.

Why RPS takes only one switch and notall six (they are advertising 750W), or am I doing something wrong.3750 has a way to config priority but all other switch are dependent onrps cable slot.

We use an RPS and it can only handle 2 3560 PoEs so I don't think it can handle that many 3750s. It also depends on the switch model and if it has PoE or not.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think you may have the wrong idea of what that 2300 does.  It is a backup power supply for devices  not a power redundant system.  It is there to keep the switch running if the internal power supply of a switch  dies. This gives you time to order a replacement .  To keep switches up in the event of a power failure you need a UPS backup system  to run the conventional power on the switches.  It is very unlikely you will ever have more than a single switch have a internal power supply failure at one time and this is the main function of that unit .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7148/ps7130/prod_qas0900aecd805bbf21.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How to save log on Cisco switches-after restart I can't seeprevious events? Do I need Syslog server (how to configure), or can theswitch save log in its memory? I want to see what is going on in themoment when RPS start to supply switch. How to export this log int txtformat on local PC?

The switch can not save it's log after a reboot. You will need to send the logs to a syslog server. Here's a link on how to configure syslog. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/intsolns/as5xipmo/sysmgt.htm#xtocid4  Syslog is in plain-text readable format, so if you watch the events come in, you'll be able to read them real-time. Kiwi Syslog is a good choice.

Why RPS takes only one switch and notall six (they are advertising 750W), or am I doing something wrong.3750 has a way to config priority but all other switch are dependent onrps cable slot.

We use an RPS and it can only handle 2 3560 PoEs so I don't think it can handle that many 3750s. It also depends on the switch model and if it has PoE or not.

Hope that helps.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think you may have the wrong idea of what that 2300 does.  It is a backup power supply for devices  not a power redundant system.  It is there to keep the switch running if the internal power supply of a switch  dies. This gives you time to order a replacement .  To keep switches up in the event of a power failure you need a UPS backup system  to run the conventional power on the switches.  It is very unlikely you will ever have more than a single switch have a internal power supply failure at one time and this is the main function of that unit .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7148/ps7130/prod_qas0900aecd805bbf21.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card