cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design Question

bfrericks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone I'm looking for some design advice.  (see attached picture for a rudimentary drawing of the setup) We have a project that we aren't quite ready to dedicate a lot of hardware resources to but the requirements are that this endeavor have a separate Internet connection and firewall.  We do, however need to maintain connectivity to the already existing networks.  My thought was we would create a separate VLAN for this network off of our Layer 3 switch.  This network would then have a dedicated firewall that will also eventually have a DMZ as well.  Here is my question:

Obviously we can't have two default routes in the core switch for internet traffic to keep each network utilizing it's respective internet connection.  That said to maintain different internet connections on each network,  I must change the default gateway for each host in the 300 network to 300.300.300.254.  Obviously that then disconnects me from all of the other networks attached to the core switch.  I realize that I can add static routes to each host in the 300 network for all of the other networks but this seems like a management nightmare and simply an inefficient way to do this.

So my question is, knowing the firewall in the 300 network won't route (nor would I want it to) traffic, short of static routes at each host, how do I regain connectivity to all other networks with this current setup?  Does anyone have any suggestions for a better setup?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

bfrericks@greatamerica.com

Hello everyone I'm looking for some design advice.  (see attached picture for a rudimentary drawing of the setup) We have a project that we aren't quite ready to dedicate a lot of hardware resources to but the requirements are that this endeavor have a separate Internet connection and firewall.  We do, however need to maintain connectivity to the already existing networks.  My thought was we would create a separate VLAN for this network off of our Layer 3 switch.  This network would then have a dedicated firewall that will also eventually have a DMZ as well.  Here is my question:

Obviously we can't have two default routes in the core switch for internet traffic to keep each network utilizing it's respective internet connection.  That said to maintain different internet connections on each network,  I must change the default gateway for each host in the 300 network to 300.300.300.254.  Obviously that then disconnects me from all of the other networks attached to the core switch.  I realize that I can add static routes to each host in the 300 network for all of the other networks but this seems like a management nightmare and simply an inefficient way to do this.

So my question is, knowing the firewall in the 300 network won't route (nor would I want it to) traffic, short of static routes at each host, how do I regain connectivity to all other networks with this current setup?  Does anyone have any suggestions for a better setup?

What is your L3 switch ie. make/model and what version of IOS together with the feature set is it running. If you post a "sh version" from the switch then that should show us.

PBR (Policy Based Routing) would be the easiest thing to do on the L3 switch but it may or not be supported hence the need for a "sh version".

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you provide the details of the L3 switch as suggested by Jon and for your query Policy based routing can work for different lan to internet.

Ganesh.H

The L3 switch is actually a HP Procurve 5412 (and subsequently all L2/L3 switches).  Firewall's, routers, wireless are all Cisco.  I checked and of course the 5412's don't support PBR.....

bfrericks@greatamerica.com

The L3 switch is actually a HP Procurve 5412 (and subsequently all L2/L3 switches).  Firewall's, routers, wireless are all Cisco.  I checked and of course the 5412's don't support PBR.....

Is there any way you could insert a router into this setup ie. make a router the default-gateway for vlan 300 and then do PBR on the router ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card