New CCNP Tests after taking Previous Tests

Unanswered Question
Feb 9th, 2010

I have looked through some previous posts and not getting a clear picture on the new CCNP cert track.  I purchased the 642 series, 5th edition, library about 2-3 weeks ago and after going to the cert page see that a new series is coming out and the old track I have is set to expire 7/31/2010.

My question is, if I begin with the 642-901 and so on will I need to retake if I do not complete all 642 courses before July 31st?  My fear is I will pass 3 of the 4 tests and the 4th will take longer and go into August or September.  I do not want to have to take all the tests again, or will they be grandfather clause in effect?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
if you're only starting you should start by viewing all the optional combinations of mixing old and new.
basically you should split it into 2:
BSCI & BCMSN are being replaced (by ROUTE &  SWITCH exams) but will be valid after July 31 so there is no problem taking them
ISCW & ONT are being discontinued and there for unless you can complete all 4 exams of the current track before July 31 you should not take them
I recommend starting with BSCI & BCMSN or go directly with the replacement exams as they will soon be available and when you complete both take the TSHOOT exam to complete your CCNP
now thinking of BSCI vs ROUTE I can point you here for some comparison that can help you make a decision

good luck!

Wilson Samuel Wed, 02/10/2010 - 16:26

You can certainly mix and match the old and new Exams. The only issue is if you have purchased the OLD material for the OLD exams, you MUST take the OLD exams before they expire. After the expiration of the Old exams, you can certainly continure with the new exams on the remaining exams.

All the Best!

Giuseppe Larosa Fri, 02/12/2010 - 00:52

these two will be good also after the deadline

if you don't complete the other two exams before deadline you will be requested to pass the new Troubleshoot exam

when I did CCNP in years 2001-2002 we had a troubleshooting exam named CIT so this is just a return.

Hope to help

This Discussion

Related Content