Views
Helpful
Replies

SVI

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I believe SVI are virtual router interfaces in layer 3 switches.

My question is

Q1.Are  SVI used to perform intervlan routing on a single switch (SW1)where vlan 10,20,30 exist or can we can use it on connected switch(SW2) also which has the same vlan 10,20,30 ?

Q2.If connected switch has same vlans as SWI1 and intervlan routing is possible do we create different SVI's for the same vlans on SWI2 ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gurkamal01 wrote:

Hi,

My question is

Q1.Are  SVI used to perform intervlan routing on a single switch (SW1)where vlan 10,20,30 exist or can we can use it on connected switch(SW2) also which has the same vlan 10,20,30 ?

Q2.If connected switch has same vlans as SWI1 and intervlan routing is possible do we create different SVI's for the same vlans on SWI2 ?

There are 2 uses for SVIs.

On a L2 switch you can only have one SVI up/up at any one time. This SVI is not used for user traffic. It is used so you remotely connect to the switch to manage it.

On a L3 switch you can have multiple L3 SVIs and they do route traffic between vlans. So lets say you have -

SW1 -> SW2

where SW1 is L3 and SW2 is L2. You have 3 data vlans 10,20,30.

On SW1 you would create the L3 SVIs for vlans 10,20,30. You would then connect SW2 via a L2 trunk which allows those same vlans. You can then assign ports on SW2 into any of the vlans. A PC connected to a port in vlan 20 for example would have it's default-gateway set to the L3 SVI address of vlan 20 on SW1.

So

Q1 - SVIs can do the inter-vlan routing for multiple switches or more specifically multiple vlans that may exist on many switches.

Q2 - you don't need to. As explained above you can simply connect SW2 with a L2 trunk back to SW1.

Going back to your original problem of the 3750 and core 4 and switch 5 -

if you wanted to route vlan 20 on core 4 you would need to create an SVI. But that might then affect the routing between core 4 and switch 5. The easiest thing to do is to connect core 4 to SW5 with a L2 trunk that allows vlan 20.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

My question is

Q1.Are SVI used to perform intervlan routing on a single switch (SW1)where vlan 10,20,30 exist or can we can use it on connected switch(SW2) also which has the same vlan 10,20,30 ?

Q2.If connected switch has same vlans as SWI1 and intervlan routing is possible do we create different SVI's for the same vlans on SWI2

Hi,

Yes SVI represents a logical Layer 3 interface on a switch and SVI on Cisco Routers is designed to provide basic Layer 3 functions for the Layer 2 switch ports that belong to a specific VLAN. The SVI does not provide the same feature set and functions as the integrated Layer 3 Ethernet ports of the routers and should not be used to entirely replace the Layer 3 Ethernet ports.

SVI are used to perform intervaln routing in switch where u have vlans configured and if you have vlans in different switch then allow the vlan over the trunk to second switch and point a route towards the primary one.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gurkamal01 wrote:

Hi,

My question is

There are 2 uses for SVIs.

On a L2 switch you can only have one SVI up/up at any one time. This SVI is not used for user traffic. It is used so you remotely connect to the switch to manage it.

On a L3 switch you can have multiple L3 SVIs and they do route traffic between vlans. So lets say you have -

SW1 -> SW2

where SW1 is L3 and SW2 is L2. You have 3 data vlans 10,20,30.

On SW1 you would create the L3 SVIs for vlans 10,20,30. You would then connect SW2 via a L2 trunk which allows those same vlans. You can then assign ports on SW2 into any of the vlans. A PC connected to a port in vlan 20 for example would have it's default-gateway set to the L3 SVI address of vlan 20 on SW1.

So

Q1 - SVIs can do the inter-vlan routing for multiple switches or more specifically multiple vlans that may exist on many switches.

Q2 - you don't need to. As explained above you can simply connect SW2 with a L2 trunk back to SW1.

Going back to your original problem of the 3750 and core 4 and switch 5 -

if you wanted to route vlan 20 on core 4 you would need to create an SVI. But that might then affect the routing between core 4 and switch 5. The easiest thing to do is to connect core 4 to SW5 with a L2 trunk that allows vlan 20.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: