Helpful
Replies

Querry on show mac-address address command

lalit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Can anyone help me on this....

I have a Cisco 6513 Switch with SUP 720-3B.Recently i have upgraded the IOS from 122-18.SXF8.bin to 122-33.SXI3.bin.After upgrading the IOS to 122-33.SXI3.bin iam not able to find the output of the below command example.

If i give show mac-address address and enter ( mac-address of the pc) it says no entry found.If i give show mac-address incl address (mac-address of the pc) then it gives output of which the pc is connected.

Also if i give only the command as show mac-address then it give the list of all mac-address.

The same was working with 122-18.SXF8 imange but in 122-33.SXI3.bin output doesn't come of the command : show mac-address address

Can anyone tried this command.Please let me know.

Regds,

Lalit

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

Can anyone help me on this....

I have a Cisco 6513 Switch with SUP 720-3B.Recently i have upgraded the IOS from 122-18.SXF8.bin to 122-33.SXI3.bin.After upgrading the IOS to 122-33.SXI3.bin iam not able to find the output of the below command example.

If i give show mac-address address and enter ( mac-address of the pc) it says no entry found.If i give show mac-address incl address (mac-address of the pc) then it gives output of which the pc is connected.

Also if i give only the command as show mac-address then it give the list of all mac-address.

The same was working with 122-18.SXF8 imange but in 122-33.SXI3.bin output doesn't come of the command : show mac-address address

Can anyone tried this command.Please let me know.

Regds,

Lalit

Hi Lalit,

To find the mac-address of the pc you need to type a command show mac-address | include mac-address of the pc where as show mac-address command display all the mac that switch has learned.

Hope that clear !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for the reply.

My Question is If give  acommand as show mac-address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx

The above should show me the output of the pc where it is connected on the switch.I dont want to use | include command.

If i use only show mac-address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx command it says entry not found even though machine is connected to the switch.

If i try with show mac-address | include xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx coammand then i am able to get the output where the pc is connected e.g  fa 2/3 whatever.

The same command show mac-address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx if i use it in 122-18.SXF8 image i get the output where the pc is connected.

Please let me know.

Regds,

Lalit

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for the reply.

My Question is If give  acommand as show mac-address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx

The above should show me the output of the pc where it is connected on the switch.I dont want to use | include command.

If i use only show mac-address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx command it says entry not found even though machine is connected to the switch.

If i try with show mac-address | include xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx coammand then i am able to get the output where the pc is connected e.g  fa 2/3 whatever.

The same command show mac-address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx if i use it in 122-18.SXF8 image i get the output where the pc is connected.

Please let me know.

Regds,

Lalit

Hi lalit,

If you give show mac-address mac-address it wont display any mac-address command rather will display a error in command,If you want to see a mac-address just type a command show mac-address address "mac-address" it will display the assoiated port where the mac is genrated.

It can be possible that previous ios would be supporting the command rather the new ios is not.

Hope that help

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

There was a typo mistake form my side.

I am using the command as show mac-address address "mac-address" this gives me the output as no entries found.Secondaly i have configured the Port security on the port.

If i remove the port security command from port it gives me the output where the port is associated correctly.Whether port security is preventing to display the associated port.

This happens to me in newly upgraded image as 12.2 SXI.bin

Regds,

Lalit

At the risk of posting a silly suggestion, have you tried show mac-address address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (instead of xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx)?

It does sound like a bug though if it worked ok in the previous IOS that you were running.

Pete

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

The same scenario i tested in a Lab with Cisco 6500 Switch with Sup32-3B.

In the first scenarion :

1. If my switch is running with s3223-entservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin image with or without Port Security enabled on the Port iam able to get the output of the below command that is

show mac-address address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (mac address of the machine)

I tried both way by removing or adding port securty on the port.It is working fine.

In the second scenarion :

1. If my switch is running with s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin image and without Port Security enabled on the Port iam able to get the output of the below command that is

the moment i enable the port secuirty on the port and type the command as show mac-address address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (mac address of the machine) It shows me no entries found.

This means SXI3.bin image does not give the output of the command if enable port security on the Port for example Fast ethernet  1/1

But in SXF8 image i am getting either way the output.

Any idea do you have come across this issue.Please let me know.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

The same scenario i tested in a Lab with Cisco 6500 Switch with Sup32-3B.

In the first scenarion :

1. If my switch is running with s3223-entservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8.bin image with or without Port Security enabled on the Port iam able to get the output of the below command that is

I tried both way by removing or adding port securty on the port.It is working fine.

In the second scenarion :

1. If my switch is running with s3223-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin image and without Port Security enabled on the Port iam able to get the output of the below command that is

the moment i enable the port secuirty on the port and type the command as show mac-address address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (mac address of the machine) It shows me no entries found.

This means SXI3.bin image does not give the output of the command if enable port security on the Port for example Fast ethernet  1/1

But in SXF8 image i am getting either way the output.

Any idea do you have come across this issue.Please let me know.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

Hi Lalit,

I'm sorry to say that I have not come across that issue.

Can anyone else help here?

Thanks,

Pete

Hello Lalit,

yes port security is the cause of your issue

with port security learned secure MAC addresses are placed in a separate specific CAM table (smaller then the general purpose one)

when you use the show mac-address-table address on a port with port security enabled you are asking to look in the big general purpose table not the specialized table for secure addresses.

We could say that new IOS behaves better under this aspect

Edit:

it is more correct to behave in this way it reflects more internal working of switches with port security

I can agree it was more handy to use the same show in any case

try with

Router# show port-security address

see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/port_sec.html#wp1036736

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: