Views
Helpful
Replies

Route-map modification and TCAM

CSCO10235163
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

does anyone know if in case a route-map, already applied, need to be modified some more actions are needed?

In other words: if I add a clause to an already existing and running route-map, it is immediatly apllied and installed in TCAM or do I need to remove and reapply the global route-map to the interface? Does it generate interruption on the current flows?

We are running IOS 12.2(18)SXE5 on Catalyst 6509

Thanks a lot

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A PBR action is not installed in the TCAM, the match ACL is.

For TCAM behavior on ACL changes, please refer to this documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a00800c9470.shtml

Thanks a lot for the feedback, the doc is really interesting.

In the meanwhile I modified the existing route-map by adding a clause where, on ACL matching, the next-hop is modified.

I verified what happened by the use of command 'sh tcam interface vlanXXX acl in ip' where vlanXXX is the vlan on which route-map is applied. Just in case of interest for others:

- if the next hop to be set is in MSFC arp table at the time of configuration, the acl appears inside TCAM preceeded by 'policy-route'

- if the next hop to be set is NOT in MSFC arp table at the time of configuration, the acl appears inside TCAM preceeded by 'punt' and as I understood it means it will be processed by software; as soon as an icmp is directed to the next hop by populating arp table, 'punt' change in 'policy-route'

No need to remove and reapply route-map to the interface in order to make the change effective.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card