cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hot swap redundant sup720 card Catalyst 6513

packetzen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a failed standby 720 sup card that need's to be replaced.  From what I have read, pop out the old and in with the new.  Anyone know of any caveats or documentation regarding this?

5 Replies 5

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure the replacement is running the same IOS as the active one.

HTH,

jerry

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Jerry's comment regarding the same IOS, make sure the Sup components i.e PFC is the same as the other one.

In summary, use the same exact hardware and software on both Sups.

HTH

Reza

Thanks for the answers.

How would I determine what IOS ver it is running before installing it?  My main area of concern is the physicall swap.  I just want to make sure I dont need to do anything on the primary before swapping out the standby.

Thanks

And yes, the replacement hardware is identical.

You can verify the IOS with a spare chassis (of course, if you have one).

Another way to do it is break it into the ROMMON of the new card after insertion, and force it to boot from the same IOS via an external CF card. There is a risk to do it on the production box, if you are not sure, you should use the spare chassis instead.

HTH,

jerry

packetzen
Level 1
Level 1

I replaced failed sup card and it booted up with the latest IOS from Cisco, .33 something.  It then synced over the config file from the primary.  However, it never synced the older IOS image we are running on the primary.  So I reloaded the switch and when it booted back up it booted off of our older IOS code.  No other issues.

One note:  While they were running different IOS version, redundancy mode was rpr but when I synced teh IOS's the mode is now SSO and the standby is HOT instead of COLD.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: