1130/1131ag ap

Unanswered Question
Feb 10th, 2010

I have about 30 access points, connected and receiving reserved ip addresses from windows server 2003 dhcp, all running this version of software:

System Software Filename:c1130-k9w7-tar.124-10b.JDA
System Software Version:12.4(10b)JDA
Bootloader Version:12.3(8)JEA

I have MAC filtering set on them.  Clients with authorized mac connect, get ip's, and can do network activity.  After about 5-6 minutes, DNS issues begin to occur:

During testing, streaming radio continues, network browsing continues, but browsing the internet stops.  I can't resolve websites through address names, but I can browse to sites using IP addresses. As soon as the page calls for a www.whatever.com, there's nothing.  Any hints?

Windows Server 2008 DNS is being used.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
sephiroth_4 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 10:45

Just an update:;

I changed dns servers from 2008 to 2003 to and the same results apply.

sephiroth_4 Wed, 02/10/2010 - 19:23

Are there any logs I can look at besides what's in the browser gui to try to understand what's going on?

More details:

all the access points are named the same (ap) for "roaming"

the least congested setting is configured

cisco aironet extensions are disabled

I've tried changing power settings

I can disconnect and reconnect to get access again without restarting the access point and gain expected access for another 5-6 minutes.

I will try to test more machines tomorrow, but I have tested an iphone 3gs, lenovo laptop with 7, and an imac and all produce the same results.

If it's necessary, I will change the way my configuration is set up...but would rather not buy anymore equipment if possible.  Thanks!

sephiroth_4 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 11:29

As I have this conversation with myself :P, it seems it's just certain wireless clients.  I've tested a gateway 7500 fx laptop and hp laptop and they work fine with my setup.  So it seems it's a driver issue or setting on the driver (nic) that's incompatible with the APs.  Does anyone have any idea of what?

sephiroth_4 Fri, 02/19/2010 - 15:58

Okay, after a support call to Cisco and many days of back and forth with settings, cli, resets, disable this and that...the problem is that in the web interface you do not apply mac filtering to the Apply Filter section like in Figure 10-2.  You just add the mac addresses in the MAC Address Filters section like in Figure 10.1(all interfaces should have like in the figure) ....  The end result is clients won't associate to the access point unless added to the 10-1 section if Default Action is Block all and Filter Classes are set with MAC Addresses to Forward.  Again, don't actually apply the filter in the apply filters section.  I don't know what logic this is, but this is what is necessary.  This applies to CLI and Web interfaces.

This Discussion