Views
Helpful
Replies

AutoQOS vs AutoQOS voip

omarmontes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys!

Does anyone know whats the difference between "auto qos" and "auto qos voip" (both for Layer 3)? As far as im concerned, "auto qos" also handles voice traffice, so im kinda lost here.

Any help really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

21 Replies 21

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There isn't any AutoQos command

Rack1SW1(config-if)#auto qos
% Incomplete command.

The command is AutoQoS voip and additional options, all explained on this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_52_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp9093827

ediortiz wrote:

There isn't any AutoQos command

Rack1SW1(config-if)#auto qos
% Incomplete command.

The command is AutoQoS voip and additional options, all explained on this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_52_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp9093827

Looks like it depends on the switch. The 6500 switch supports both commands. 6500 switches always have to be the exception

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_a1.html

Jon

let me get this straigth.. its a router command, a Layer 3 one

Router(config-if)#auto qos ?
  voip  Configure AutoQoS for VoIP

Router(config-if)#auto qos voip ?
  trust  Trust the DSCP marking

Router(config-if)#auto discovery qos ?
  trust  Trust the DSCP marking

NOT related to autoqos for LAN switches.

Actually, the 6500 does not support both,

The switch command is 'auto qos voip ...' - all switches behave the same way.

The other command 'auto qos..' is used on policy-maps when MQC is used on routers.

BTW, you love quoting every single reply, huh?

ediortiz wrote:

Actually, the 6500 does not support both,

The switch command is 'auto qos voip ...' - all switches behave the same way.

The other command 'auto qos..' is used on policy-maps when MQC is used on routers.

BTW, you love quoting every single reply, huh?

Okay, as always thanks for pointing that out.

Yes i do like quoting every single reply makes it easier to respond when the text is in the window. I do sometimes cut bits out but not often i admit. Is there a problem with this, am i filling up all the disk space on Cisco's servers

Jon

thats really great..

any info on the subject?

thanks

Omar, did you click on the link Jon posted? The commands and their behavior are listed there.

I do sometimes cut bits out but not often i admit. Is there a problem with this, am i filling up all the disk space on Cisco's servers

No, but scrolling thru the original post twice seems counterproductive just to read your reply.

ediortiz wrote:

I do sometimes cut bits out but not often i admit. Is there a problem with this, am i filling up all the disk space on Cisco's servers

No, but scrolling thru the original post twice seems counterproductive just to read your reply.

Edison

It may be a while yet but when you get to my age you may find that between clicking on reply and starting to compose your answer you actually forget the exact details of the question. Have a bit of sympathy for the older folks on these forums

Jon

Jon,

You can post your replies whichever way you want. I'm not the Cisco moderator nor I'm policing these forums.

I'm making an observation as to why every reply needs to be quoted on its entirety (simply netiquette).

You can grab the portion from the original reply and paste them as quotes.

There are times, when someone post an entire config and you reply ... I don't even bother reading the thread..

You can make a suggestion to Dan and bring back a similar interface from the old forums where the original post was visible during typing...

ediortiz wrote:

Jon,

You can post your replies whichever way you want. I'm not the Cisco moderator nor I'm policing these forums.

I'm making an observation as to why every reply needs to be quoted on its entirety (simply netiquette).

You can grab the portion from the original reply and paste them as quotes.

There are times, when someone post an entire config and you reply ... I don't even bother reading the thread..

You can make a suggestion to Dan and bring back a similar interface from the old forums where the original post was visible during typing...

Edison

Please don't take this seriously, i am just being flippant. Happy to take it on board.

Jon

Yeah I clicked on the link... I know the command and what they do.. thats how i knew they existed and that you tried them on a switch. What Im looking for in here is if someone with a little more background on this two separate features, as of when to use each. One of them needs the use of NBAR and the other one i think it doesnt. One of the features came first.. and I think "auto qos" with "auto discovery qos" is more robuts than "auto qos voip"

thats more or less what I need... not a fight about quoting or a command reference that I can access anytime

I mean.. of course any help is appreciated, but come on guys, give people some credit and stop getting off topic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco