Looking for lab scenarios - NOT walkthroughs

Unanswered Question
Feb 11th, 2010

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} I have been looking around for some good lab scenarios to build networks with on the equipment I have. I have had a little luck in finding labs, but they all tell me what it's doing by going step by step through the process. I can't learn well that way if the answer is right in front of me. I am looking for something that will give me a diagram and say it needs to use EIGRP and this subnet should not be able to access this other one or something like that. I can't seem to think of good scenarios in my head and that's been my big hang up on getting this ICND 2 done with. I have the concepts down, but since I don't get too much hands on config time at work, I can't get the actual configuration steps down.

I want to make sure I have all of the commands down solid before I take the test and then move on. Even if I took the test and passed it now, I don't want to get away from these concepts until I know I can do them backwards and forwards in my sleep.

If I have problems with a scenario and run into something I can't remember how to configure, I can look it up and then come back to that scenario later and try it again to make sure I remembered all of the commands.

Does anyone know of anything like this? I would like to find something online that's free, but if there was some sort of lab book like this I'd buy it if it wasn't crazy expensive.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
burleyman Thu, 02/11/2010 - 06:49

I have attached a document. Are you looking for something like this?

Please rate post that help.

Mike

burleyman Thu, 02/11/2010 - 06:54

Are you looking for something like this?

Lab 1: Switch setup
Goals:
1. Set the hostname

2. Set the enable password and make sure it is encrypted

3. Set log in on the console port with a password

4. Set VTY lines to log in and with a password

5. Set up SSH with username, domain name, and use version 2

6. Set a banner that will display when accessing

7. Set VLAN 1 with an IP address of 10.1.1.1/24 for management access

8. Default gateway for VLAN 1 should be 10.1.1.254/24

9. Set the first port as a trunk port to connect to Router

10. Create 3 more VLAN’s as follows
a. VLAN 3 – IP Address 10.1.3.1/24 named - Server VLAN and assign 4 ports to this VLAN
b. VLAN 101 – IP Address 10.1.101.1/24 named - Data VLAN for users and assign 10 ports to this VLAN
c. VLAN 5 – IP Address 10.1.5.1/24 named - Printer VLAN for Printers and Assign 3 ports to this VLAN
d. Make sure access is prohibited on all remaining ports

11. Set all ports in VLAN 3,5, and 101 to allow only one MAC Address and set the port to shutdown if violated.

12. Save the config to memory and also TFTP and copy of the config to your laptop.

Please rate helpful posts,

Mike

Brodel240 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 07:32

Something like that would be a good start for doing a single device. I would really like something that was an entire scenario. Maybe something like building a small network with certain requirements.

I was thinking it would be really cool as well to have little tests at the end like "can you ping this subnet from this router" or after setting up STP checking which switch became the root bridge and make sure it reconverges after disabling that interface or disconnecting that switch.

Also, I didn't see your attachment.. not sure if I am not looking in the right spot or what.. Thanks!

Message was edited by: Brodel240 (fixed stupid spelling mistake)

burleyman Thu, 02/11/2010 - 07:35

Attachment did not work so I just put it in the post. I think I know what you want. I will have to check. I think I may have something.

Mike

Actions

This Discussion