cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC2-1MFT-G703 module installation / CSU/DSU question.

krahmani323
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding the migration to a new Frame Relay access with a VWIC2-1MFT-G703 in a 2811 router that I have to do.

The infrastructure is very old. The link is made by 2 MC3810 routers (+  E1 Multiflex Trunk modules).

The current configuration of one side is as follows :

-----------------------------------------

controller E1 0
framing NO-CRC4
clock source loop-timed
channel-group 1 timeslots 1-31
!

interface Serial0:1
bandwidth 2048
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
no fair-queue
no frag-pre-queueing
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
hold-queue 1024 out

!

interface Serial0:1.1 multipoint
ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0
no frag-pre-queueing
frame-relay class data
frame-relay map ip 192.168.100.2 500

-----------------------------------------

A pair of 2811 + VWIC2-1MFT-G703 will be used in replacment. I will conserve the current configuration except for the clock source internal command and channel-group 1 unframed (as per the possible G.703 functionnality).

I had one question about the improvment of this 2nd generation module :

"Drop and insert capability on all versions--All MFT VWIC2 modules now include the drop and insert multiplexing capability, which eliminates external third party CSU/DSUs and drop and insert multiplexers".

As currently there is a external CSU/DSU from the provider I would like to know if this improvment can introduce some issue for the controller to be up with the new module and the CSU/DSU provider already usedHow the router will consider this ?

Is it possible to configure (deactivate) this aspect of internal CSU/DSU ?

More generaly has someone ever done this kind of migration and what were the aspects we need to pay attention to ? As I have read in some forums this new module is very sensitive, I am affraid to be stuck with a controller which does not go up.

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks.

Kind regards.

Karim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A pair of 2811 + VWIC2-1MFT-G703 will be used in replacment. I will conserve the current configuration except for the clock source internal command and channel-group 1 unframed (as per the possible G.703 functionnality).

That is incorrect, you must utilize the same exact clock and timeslots settings, otherwise you will not establish L2 to to FR switch.

And in fact, you could have used the basic version of the VWIC, as unframed is not used in this case.

Regarding the "CSU/DSU" from the provider, that is more likely an HDSL E1 "modem", that you cannot eliminate.

Drop & insert, is also not in the picture.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is incorrect, you must utilize the same exact clock and timeslots settings, otherwise you will not establish L2 to to FR switch.

And in fact, you could have used the basic version of the VWIC, as unframed is not used in this case.

Regarding the "CSU/DSU" from the provider, that is more likely an HDSL E1 "modem", that you cannot eliminate.

Drop & insert, is also not in the picture.

Hello and thanks for the clarifications !

Regards/

Karim

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: