Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail Notifications in Unity Connection 7.13

Bernece Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am looking to see if there is a way to send a text message to mobile phones that there is a message on the office phone. I can get it to call and email, but was wondering if texting was also an option.

Thanks

Bernece

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Most cell phones have an email address attached to it.  Such as 4155551212@sprintpcs.com   This would send a txt message to a sprint phone.

You can try this as a notifications

View solution in original post

T Cat, we've never met but you always have good answers.  You are correct and I believe this works - I recall seeing a customer having set it up on his own during an initial meeting a while back. I believe he was thought it was quite clever as well Just double check the carrier extension for some carriers on what they append to the phone for the "domain" send to address.  It may not apply now but I think some of the what now may have been absorbed carriers had a certain text postfix for direct messages to phones.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Most cell phones have an email address attached to it.  Such as 4155551212@sprintpcs.com   This would send a txt message to a sprint phone.

You can try this as a notifications

T Cat, we've never met but you always have good answers.  You are correct and I believe this works - I recall seeing a customer having set it up on his own during an initial meeting a while back. I believe he was thought it was quite clever as well Just double check the carrier extension for some carriers on what they append to the phone for the "domain" send to address.  It may not apply now but I think some of the what now may have been absorbed carriers had a certain text postfix for direct messages to phones.

My pleasure. Hopefully my answer help some folks..     I had a deployment where they were using pagers for notifications.  So I had to have Connection dial out to the pager company, pause, then send the mailbox number.  Thats all it could send.... numeric number to the pager.  Took a little bit, but its setup similar to how Single Number Reach works.  putting in the delay to connect, commas, etc. 

Anyways, good luck and thanks!

Thank you for all the help. I am able to text a message to my email, but my phone system doesn't appear to want to send one. I believe that this is the correct answer, I just need to tweek it to so what I want. Thanks again.

Can you describe what you have setup so far? 

it would be an email notification of new voicemail.  So this means in the Subscriber profile, you have put in the 4085551212@sprintpcs.com as the email address.

Then you have to configure a Smart Host for Connection to be able to email this out.  Connection on its own can not email this out.  Its needs for a host, such as Exchange or your ISPs mail server to foward this out.

FWIW - I'll assume you don't have a cluster or digital networking going here.  If you did, you would already have to have an SMTP Smart Host configured for a few reasons.  T Cat is giving you everything you need, so I'm not trying to confuse the issue for you.  I just wanted to point out that some of my customers get confused between the terms SMTP Relay and SMTP Smart Host.  Esssentially, a Smart Host knows how to look-up MX records via DNS and make TCP connections to deliver mail.  Most Linux/Unix hosts can be configured to do this; however, (if I remember correctly) Windows systems typically need some help (i.e., additional services required) to fully implement this.

Basically, Unity Connection isn't emailing anything outside of it's own local system.  In this case, it will see the 4085551212@sprintpcs.com and forward/relay it over to a configure Smart Host.  That host then needs to be able to lookup sprintpcs.com via DNS and establish a connection to send the email along.

HTH

Thank you both. I do have the Smart host configured in Unity and I am using the email notification. I believe the issue is between Unity and the SMTP server and will continue looking at that. I will have to work with the administrator of the host to see if it is capable of doing what you described. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: