Replies

Large branch design - comment plz..

Alexander Demin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Just moved my topic here from "WAN R&S"

So...

Building №1 - 60 user ports + 10 server ports, Building №2 - 110 user ports. + 10 server ports.

Servers are used locally (no access from WAN needed for now, but soon it may be).

All ports should be 1Gbit/s.

I think abt. this design:

Access layer: ws-c3560-48TS-E and ws-c3560-24TS-E (2x 48 + 24 port 3560 switches) with glc-sx-mm transivers installed. 2 optical links from each 3560 form etherchannel uplink to 3750 at distrib.layer. Servers in each building are connected to access switches also.

Distrib.layer: two ws-c3750G-24TS-E1U in stack. It takes 6 optical links (3 etherchannel uplinks) from building№2 and 4 Gigabit links (2 etherchannel uplinks) from locally (in building№1) placed access switches (48 + 24 port 3560).

Edge layer: ISR cisco3825-NOVPN (IP Base software) connected to 3750 stack with 2 gigabit ports (that form 1 etherchannel uplink).

Between buildings I want to put 24-strand 62,5 MMF outdoor cable (abt 50 meters) over the air (from roof to roof). 12 strands will be used by SFP's.

Please, comment and critisize this design. Also, question is : what is the difference between IP Base and IP Services (for 3560 and 3750 switches) ?

tnx.

DAO21-RIPE
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello!

So...

Building №1 - 60 user ports + 10 server ports, Building №2 - 110 user ports. + 10 server ports.

Servers are used locally (no access from WAN needed for now, but soon it may be).

Access layer: ws-c3560-48TS-E and ws-c3560-24TS-E (2x 48 + 24 port 3560 switches) with glc-sx-mm transivers installed. 2 optical links from each 3560 form etherchannel uplink to 3750 at distrib.layer. Servers in each building are connected to access switches also.

Distrib.layer: two ws-c3750G-24TS-E1U in stack. It takes 6 optical links (3 etherchannel uplinks) from building№2 and 4 Gigabit links (2 etherchannel uplinks) from locally (in building№1) placed access switches (48 + 24 port 3560).

Edge layer: ISR cisco3825-NOVPN (IP Base software) connected to 3750 stack with 2 gigabit ports (that form 1 etherchannel uplink).

Between buildings I want to put 24-strand 62,5 MMF outdoor cable (abt 50 meters) over the air (from roof to roof). 12 strands will be used by SFP's.

Please, comment and critisize this design. Also, question is : what is the difference between IP Base and IP Services (for 3560 and 3750 switches) ?

tnx.

Hi,

Design seems to be simple and flat network design just check out the capabilties of servers how much data and what type of data will be send by servers to check the performance of 3560 switches, but with my experience in our data centers also 3560 G series works well at access layer with high end servers.

My only concern is outdoor connectivity between bulidings over the roof,if buliding distance is not that much distance whay dont you lay the fiber in proper fashion to avoid any disruption to these fibers.

And for for you question difference between ip base and ip services ios is

The IP Base feature set includes advanced quality of service (QoS), rate limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) functions. Dynamic IP routing protocols (Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), BGPv4, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)) are available only on the IP services image.

The IP Services image provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, which includes advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing. Support for IPv6 Layer 3 switching in hardware is also available with the addition of the Advanced IP Services license to either the IP Base or the IP Services images. Both the IP base Image and the IP services image allow for Layer 3 and Layer 4 lookups for QoS and security.

Hope to help

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

Hm...are there any WiMax products from Cisco to deploy in my logical topology (for connection between buildings) ?

It may be more expensive than optical cable 50 m deployment and SFP SX modules...

Hi,

Yes you are right it will be more expensive in your case to deploy wi-max routers at both end and purchasing licensed band and that to in license you will be having limited bandwidth connectivity,it was just a thought which came in my mind when i was studying your thread thought to share with you rather deploying fiber in open air why cant wi-max as backhaul connectivity.

wi-max products are there from cisco,motorola cannopy and smart bridges devices which used to give backhaul bandwidth on band between two sites.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

can you also post a schematic diagram of your setup which will be easier to comment on ?

regds

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wait a sec!  I've seen this post before and there a number of contributions from the regulars already.  You are beginning to confuse us!

Leolaohoo, sorry for confusion. I should put "all eggs in one basket" :-)  But questions often appear on tap.

DAO21-RIPE

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello!

So...

tnx.

Hi,

Design seems to be simple and flat network design just check out the capabilties of servers how much data and what type of data will be send by servers to check the performance of 3560 switches, but with my experience in our data centers also 3560 G series works well at access layer with high end servers.

My only concern is outdoor connectivity between bulidings over the roof,if buliding distance is not that much distance whay dont you lay the fiber in proper fashion to avoid any disruption to these fibers.

And for for you question difference between ip base and ip services ios is

The IP Base feature set includes advanced quality of service (QoS), rate limiting, access control lists (ACLs), and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) functions. Dynamic IP routing protocols (Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), BGPv4, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)) are available only on the IP services image.

The IP Services image provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, which includes advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing. Support for IPv6 Layer 3 switching in hardware is also available with the addition of the Advanced IP Services license to either the IP Base or the IP Services images. Both the IP base Image and the IP services image allow for Layer 3 and Layer 4 lookups for QoS and security.

Hope to help

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

2 Ganesh.H.

Thanks! A few more questions: as you see, all links between layers are etherchannels of 2 Gbit/s. Is there any need to form a 4 Gbit/s etherchannel uplink from distribution`3750 stack to 3825 ISR at the edge, as the terminating point for VLANs?

What for your concern about optical cable...unfortunately, in our country, it takes a lot of organizational and document procedures to be permitted to lay any outdoor data cable grounded. -> too much time for project endorsement and data wells rental on per/month basis... Many contractors offer cable laying over the air (for examle, across the street) - it takes no licensing and rent. What for disruption - its okay: special outdoor cable types + coating.

DAO21-RIPE

2 Ganesh.H.

Thanks! A few more questions: as you see, all links between layers are etherchannels of 2 Gbit/s. Is there any need to form a 4 Gbit/s etherchannel uplink from distribution`3750 stack to 3825 ISR at the edge, as the terminating point for VLANs?

What for your concern about optical cable...unfortunately, in our country, it takes a lot of organizational and document procedures to be permitted to lay any outdoor data cable grounded. -> too much time for project endorsement and data wells rental on per/month basis... Many contractors offer cable laying over the air (for examle, across the street) - it takes no licensing and rent. What for disruption - its okay: special outdoor cable types + coating.

Hi,

It's upto you how you take if you want more bandwidth channel pipe between lower layer to higher layer you can go for four gig but two gig is more than enough,You can take this for future capacity planning if needed.

I know that laying air to air no licensing and rent but proper care need to be taken which is taken when you deploy via ground because for building to building connectivity either we deploy grounded fiber links between the building or wi-max links between the buildings with strong line of sight and license band.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Hm...are there any WiMax products from Cisco to deploy in my logical topology (for connection between buildings) ?

It may be more expensive than optical cable 50 m deployment and SFP SX modules...

DAO21-RIPE

Hi,

Yes you are right it will be more expensive in your case to deploy wi-max routers at both end and purchasing licensed band and that to in license you will be having limited bandwidth connectivity,it was just a thought which came in my mind when i was studying your thread thought to share with you rather deploying fiber in open air why cant wi-max as backhaul connectivity.

wi-max products are there from cisco,motorola cannopy and smart bridges devices which used to give backhaul bandwidth on band between two sites.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card