it is hard to navigate and find the correct documentation on cisco

Unanswered Question
Feb 12th, 2010

i am surfing hours on the cisco  website, see sometimes perfect examples and information i need. but

a day later i cant find it. or a wee later or  month later.

i am not aware where i am on this huge website where i am when i find  something quite interesting.

for example i know i have seen perfect examples of site to site vpn on this site, but where ?

the search function doesn't help

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
rob.huffman Fri, 02/12/2010 - 10:53

Hi Jilles,

I think we all feel your pain here as there must be Millions of docs floating

around in the "Cisco" world I don't have any great tips, but rather a couple of

basic tips. Almost every doc that I have ever come across here on CCO has a

.pdf version if you scroll way over to the top right hand side of the link page. I usually

try to save the really good ones. And try one of the top search engines for your

hunting. I just put in "Cisco site to site vpn" and came up with many good

looking hits.

rob.huffman Sun, 02/21/2010 - 08:57

Hi Hilde,

Thanks for posting up these great tips!

The MyCisco area looks really promising and is

an area I've never tried until today. Sweet! +5 points

for your awesome participation here.

hweisert Fri, 02/19/2010 - 10:35

Hi Jilles,

Rob's reply looked like it covered useful site to site VPN examples; let us know if you need more info on that topic.

We feel your pain also, and although navigation can still be a challenge, we are pleased about some recent innovations on for finding information and getting back to it once you have found what you are looking for:

• On, note the My Cisco tab at the top of the site- here's where you can add your bookmarks (including to PDFs such as Rob mentions), track or access Recent Service Requests, Software Alerts, Recently Used Products, Added Devices, Support Notifications, and the new Collaboration Spaces. 
  • To get started quickly with the new customization features, we like this interactive little demo - point and click on the features you're interested in

Here is some basic information that may help you find documentation in the future:

• From the Support home page, take Option 1 and either enter a product name to search for, or select from a category list, or take Option 2 and start from the task you want to do.
  • Or – you can go right to the Product Selector Page where you start by selecting a product or technology category, then select a product line, then select a specific product. From the next page you’ll see a list of all doc for that product.
  • And a tip if you are looking for system documentation: Although there is no category for system documentation, if you type “system” in the find box on the main Support page or the “Select Your Product” page, you’ll get a list of all products with “system” in their title.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post when clearly you have already spent a lot of time and frustration trying to find things!

This Discussion