Views
Helpful
Replies

Daemon Manager service does not start

j.baez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem with Ciscoworks LMS 3.1 ... Application was working fine but after a while it started to show errors due to some processes and services that weren't enabled. I looked over the processes and services windows and realized Daemon Manager wasn´t working. I tried to start it but just doesn't happen.

I did it through the services window and also through a windows command prompt but results weren't different.

I attached the screenshots about my issue. Hope they're helpful and will be looking forward your answer.

Thank you,

15 Replies 15

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check the Windows Event Viewer for errors.  Post the syslog.log and the NMSROOT/lib/classpath/md.properties.

Hi,

I'm forwarding the event log, syslog and the md.properties... as far as i understood by the event viewer window, there plenty of errors because of an application popup. I ignore what that means but hopefully you will understand it.

thanks,

It looks like someone deleted the casuser account from the server.  If this is the case, LMS would need to be reinstalled as one cannot simply recreate the casuser account (the SID would be different).  If, however, the casuser account's password or attributes were changed, you can run NMSROOT/setup/support/resetCasuser.exe to fix the problem.

I fixed this issue by running the casuser.exe and reseting data to default (option 1) and now Daemon manager is working.

I have a question about this. I am the person in charge of the server and i never deleted that casuser account. What are the chances that by doing some other configurations that casuser would get deleted or corrupted but not intentionally??

As now i am dealing with some other problems within the same application (engines are not started, no communication with DCR server and license server is down as well), eventhough Daemon is running and also the services appear to be started, which would it be the reason to have to reinstall the application once again and not to fix up the issues by each module.

In concrete, By reinstalling the application would be the best way to fix everything up and why???

Typically, we see issues with casuser when users associate the LMS server with a domain.  In some cases, domain policies override local policies, and break the casuser account.  We typically recommend you make LMS servers standalone to ease the management task.

Without fully understanding the other underlying problems, it's hard to say if a reinstall would help.  For example, if there is some security software, or policy being enforced, a reinstall may not help anything as security/policy enforcement may still be breaking LMS

Hi,

Actually, there is only one server working for all the modules of the application so it has been set up as standalone.

The server has the following features:

- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, SP1
- Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU
- E5405 @ 2.00 GHz
- 2.00 GHz, 1.97 GB of RAM

Domain has been set up within the server

Antivirus Microsoft Forefront Client Security installed

Is there any bug that fixes that problem about the domain being corrupted??? would it be better if we skip that domain's comfiguration when setting up the server's system (although it would be like server does not belong to the network)??, Antivirus has not to be installed??? Policies from the firewall would need to be all opened (from the server to any device that is to be managed by the application???

According to your comments that is what i am understanding, please let me know if i am wrong and therefore What would you recommend me to do???

Thanks,

I can only offer general advice since I do not have intimate knowledge of your server or network configuration.  My advice is not to put the server in a domain, install anti-virus, but disable on-access scanning for the NMSROOT directory tree, and if you are using a host-based firewall, make sure you open all of the required TCP and UDP ports per the LMS installation guide for your version of LMS.

Hi,

Thanks for your recommendations but I can't leave the server out of the domain due to security and management issues. The only way to make it work out of the domain would be by validating not as local administrator but as any user account with administrator privileges.  .

Do you think that would be ok???

There are some things that just do not work unless done as the local Administrator.  You cannot use a domain Administrator account.

what would you recommend to do if there's no way to leave it out of the domain???

i can't think of anything else

As I said, you can but LMS into a domain.  However, maintenance operations will require you to use a local Administrator account as opposed to a domain Administrator.

Then if I want to reinstall the Application, should it be done by using a local account only or can use  an account with administrator's privileges???

You must use a local Administrator account.  A domain administrator will not work.  From the server's console (either the physical console, or mstsc /console, VMWare console, etc.) login as a local Administrator, mount the original media, disable anti-virus software, set the TEMP and TMP environment variables to something short like C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, then perform the install.

Is there anything else i should be aware of if i'm working within VMware environment???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: