cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configure dot1q trunk on 10GE port

jidesai01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 switch with a WS-X6716-10GE blade.  I am trying to configure some ports for dot1q trunk, but am not able to.  I don't see an option for trunk encapsuation.  Am i missing something?

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

switchport mode trunk  is not available?

Reza

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jidesai01 wrote:

I have a 6509 switch with a WS-X6716-10GE blade.  I am trying to configure some ports for dot1q trunk, but am not able to.  I don't see an option for trunk encapsuation.  Am i missing something?

Probably means the module only supports 802.1Q.  If this is the case then the "switchport trunk encapsulation .." command will not be available. Do a "s int   capabalilities" on one of the ports and it will tell you which encapsulation types it supports.

Jon

Thanks for the replies.  I issued the show int , capabilities and it only shows dot1q encapsulation.  But it seems that the other modules are showing the dot1q encapsulation also.  Does this necessary mean it only supports the dot1q encap?  On the gig mod, the command switchport trunk encapsulation is available.

jidesai01 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I issued the show int , capabilities and it only shows dot1q encapsulation.  But it seems that the other modules are showing the dot1q encapsulation also.  Does this necessary mean it only supports the dot1q encap?  On the gig mod, the command switchport trunk encapsulation is available.

It varies but if you cannot enter the command "switchport trunk encapsulation ...." on a port then it either only supports one type of encapsulation ie. 8021.q or ISL, or it doesn't support encapsulation at all.

Your interfaces do support 802.1q so just configure the interfaces you want as trunk links with the "switchport mode trunk" command.

Jon

10-Gigabit Ethernet ports do not support ISL encapsulation.  So it must be 802.1Q trunk.

http://scc.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SXF/configuration/guide/layer2.html

HTH

Reza

Reza, I see that WS-X6502-10GE  module does not support ISL trunking, but I don't see a mention of WS-X6716-10GE module.  Thanks

I just tried it on a 10 Gig port from a 6708 blade.  Even though the link I provided says that 10 gig interfaces support 802.1q only, I can apply either one with no problems

switch trunk enca dot1q or

switch trunk enca ISL

Also when I do sh int cap, it shows that both 802.1q and ISL are supported. Hmmm

Reza

dean1parsons
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if you have got an answer yet, so I thought I would help.  If so, sorry.  If I understand the question (correct me if I am wrong)  You are trying to configure 10g ports on a WS-X6716-10GE?  (Port-channels, ethercahnnels, trunks.......)

If the Sup supports the card  the "switchport trunk encapsuation dot1q" command is not required.

Do a;

SWITCHNAME# show interface te1/1 capabilities (in my case my 6716 is in slot 1)

The Trunk Encap Type is 802.1Q  (The 6716 ONLY Supports 802.1Q Encap.)

NOW, the reason the WS-X6708 and older 10GE cards require you to specify is because they also supported ISL.  The 6716 does not.

Have I done this and do I have 670X, 08 and 6716s?  Yes, many of them and do they work..... Yes they all work.

I create;

SWITCHNAME#config t

SWITCHNAME(config)# interface Port- channel ##  (set this up)  Make sure it is shutdown until the interfaces are done

Then I go into the 10GE interfaces ( you can range theses SWITCHNAME(config)# interface range .....) 

Make sure these are shutdown during the configuration process also.

des ...........

switchport

switchport mode trunk

channel-group ## ......

Then go back to the Port-channel ## and no shut on the PO. Then validate the PO or etherchannel via the summary command

SWITCHNAME# show etherchannel summary

or be lazy and do a

SWITCHNAME(config)# do show etherchannel summary

Hope this helps

See Ya......

Thank you.  That helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card