cant connect to hidden ssid from 851w to XP or linux clients

Unanswered Question

I'm trying to setup a SOHO ISR router for a friend's business and have hit a snag trying to get either of my personal machines to connect to the hidden SSID. I'm fully aware that hiding the SSID is a security myth, however the 851w can only support broadcasting a single BSSID. The plan is to make the hidden network for employees and the guest network be broadcast. I'll post the config later this evening (forgot to save a copy) but I'm wondering if there's any well known issues with this. I've gotten my Droid phone to connect to the hidden network, and the phone says it has an ip address (which the dhcp server agrees with) but a "show dot11 associations" shows 0.0.0.0 for the phone's ip. I have no idea what's going on here

Also, any methods of creating daily key's for the guest network would be handy. I havn't played with it yet, but i'm assuming I should be able to use a key chain with a bunch of keys, or some multiple of 7 for each day of the week. I'd like to find out what other's have done.

Last, what keeps an AP or integrated router from being able to broadcast more than one SSID? Is that a hardware limitation or something in the layer 2 wifi domain? I know my 1242ag can do 2 BSSID's, but its also 3x more than the 851w.

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion