Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 SSL VPN Licensing questions

nicolas_picard
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have some questions about SSL VPN licencing on the ASA5505.

Currently there is 2 SSL VPN licences on the firewall. We plan to buy a 25 pack. When installed, the total licences available will be 25 or 27 (the 2 already existing + the 25 pack) ?

How does the licences work ? Does it allow 25 simultaneous connections or just 25 users even if they did not connect simultaneously ? Does it work the same way if we use the internal accounts sytem or if we use a RADIUS authentication based on Active Directory ?

There may be up to 40 users that will use the VPN but they will never connect simultaeously.

Thanks for taking time to reply and I apologise for my english as it's not my native language.

Nicolas Picard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nicolas_picard wrote:

Hi all

Currently there is 2 SSL VPN licences on the firewall. We plan to buy a 25 pack. When installed, the total licences available will be 25 or 27 (the 2 already existing + the 25 pack) ?

How does the licences work ? Does it allow 25 simultaneous connections or just 25 users even if they did not connect simultaneously ? Does it work the same way if we use the internal accounts sytem or if we use a RADIUS authentication based on Active Directory ?

There may be up to 40 users that will use the VPN but they will never connect simultaeously.

Thanks for taking time to reply and I apologise for my english as it's not my native language.

Nicolas Picard

Nicolas

Your English is as good as mine and it is my native language so no need to apologise

You would end up with 25 SSL VPN licenses and they are for concurrent users so at any one time 25 users will be allowed to use SSL VPN. The firewall does not record which users are using the licenses so it is literally just 25 at any one time.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nicolas_picard wrote:

Hi all

Nicolas Picard

Nicolas

Your English is as good as mine and it is my native language so no need to apologise

You would end up with 25 SSL VPN licenses and they are for concurrent users so at any one time 25 users will be allowed to use SSL VPN. The firewall does not record which users are using the licenses so it is literally just 25 at any one time.

Jon

cmcbride
Level 1
Level 1

FYI, something that was added with 8.2 is the Anyconnect Essentials license.  If you buy this (and it's MUCH cheaper than SSL VPN licenses), then you can have 25 Anyconnect VPN client users connected at a time.  You will need the SSL VPN licenses if you want to use anything besides Anyconnect though (webportal,etc).  And it does require 8.2 to be loaded.

nicolas_picard
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you guys for your answers. it's very appreciated.

Nicolas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: