State of SMB Products and Video

Unanswered Question

Hi,

I know video conferencing/collaboration/etc. is a big part of the UC sales pitch but I wanted to get a real state of video with the UC systems. We use CUVA but the problem with us is we also use Windows 7 so the performance and/or functioning of CUVA is spotty at best.

I know Cisco does not have plans to support CUVA in Windows 7 so that would tell me the product is on the outs. If so where are we (you) headed with video? I know the video phones are coming out (sans cameras so far), but the costs are prohibitive for SMB's.

Can someone please tell me where we are suppose to be steering our customers regarding video as this is a key selling point in some cases (I will do an NDA if required). I do hope that Cisco is not waiting on all the Tanberg stuff to come into play before setting the direction....

If it were up to me I would like to see a small footprint Jabber client that would work on Win/Linux/Mac that would support presence and video, something like CUPC, but with more jabber functionality, how hard can it be :)

Thanks for listening (reading)

Bob James

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Sat, 02/13/2010 - 06:13

Just two quick note on CUVA II EOS/EOL and the new CUVA III introduced to replace it going forward and PC requirements

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco VT Camera II

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/video/ps7190/ps5662/end_of_life_notice_c51-569318.html

In the CUVA SW release notes, there are minimum requirements for PCs operating the CUVA:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/cuva/2_1/english/release/notes/ol15290.html

Steven DiStefano Sat, 02/13/2010 - 09:09

I realize this.    I cant talk about whats happening with the acquisition, because we legally are not allowed to.

I just wanted to address the concern that the CUVA was disappearing is all. 

I saw your note to to the internal marketing team, and I am sure they will address this when then can.

Steve

Marcos Hernandez Mon, 02/15/2010 - 12:58

If you can't or does not want to use CUVA then WebEx is an option. WebEx has basic video capabilities.

If you are looking for low end Video conferencing, Tandberg has a portfolio we may be able to consider. It is not full blow Telepresence but something possibly better than CUVA or WebEx that we might decide to do in the future (no commitments).

Thanks,

Marcos

Actions

This Discussion