cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I reset a UC520 so that it is ready for CCA to connect?

dtbullock
Level 1
Level 1

Thought 1:  Everything I've seen regarding the initial CCA-driven configuration of a UC520 says to:

1. connect a PC (with a DHCP directly up to any switch port on the UC520
  2. fire up CCA
  3. tell CCA to 'add a new customer site', specifying IP address 192.168.10.1

Thought 2:  Everything I've seen regarding resetting a UC520 to its factory configuration says says to do:

1. copy flash:UC520-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.0.3.cfg to startup-config
  2. reload

Problem: Performing the factory reset as described doesn't put the UC520 in a state whereby the router has 192.168.10.0/28 configured on its native vlan.  Instead, immediately after the router is reloaded, the console displays the "----System Configuration Dialog----".   Answering 'N', doesn't assign an IP address to the vlan (or enable ip http secure-server or setup a dhcp pool for that matter).  Answering 'y' requires me to enter in some minimal configuration, which kind of defeats the purpose of using CCA for an initial configuration?

How do I configure the UC520 so that it is in the initial condition that CCA expects it to be in?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Best way is to let CCA do this for you.

Download CCA 2.2.1 (the latest) from www.cisco.com/go/configassist

Install it on your PC.   Make sure you do not have dual NIC enabled on your PC and no FTP or TFTP servers are running on it.

COnnect the ethernet from your PC to the UC500 LAN port.

Navigate to the MAINTENANCE Drawer on CCA and go to RESTART/RESET.

Select the UC500 and FACTORY RESET

This will take care of IOS/CME and CUE (which must also be reset)

BTW, if you have new code to install (the 8-0-0 bundloe zip is the latest), you can accomplish BOTH a factory reset and an upgrade at the same time using the same Maintenance drawer, but the SW Upgrade tool.  Just check both both boxes (format flash and apply factory default).

Steve

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Best way is to let CCA do this for you.

Download CCA 2.2.1 (the latest) from www.cisco.com/go/configassist

Install it on your PC.   Make sure you do not have dual NIC enabled on your PC and no FTP or TFTP servers are running on it.

COnnect the ethernet from your PC to the UC500 LAN port.

Navigate to the MAINTENANCE Drawer on CCA and go to RESTART/RESET.

Select the UC500 and FACTORY RESET

This will take care of IOS/CME and CUE (which must also be reset)

BTW, if you have new code to install (the 8-0-0 bundloe zip is the latest), you can accomplish BOTH a factory reset and an upgrade at the same time using the same Maintenance drawer, but the SW Upgrade tool.  Just check both both boxes (format flash and apply factory default).

Steve

That sounds useful as a future approach.  However, before I could attempt to follow these instructions with a UC520 that had already been manually reset to factory defaults, I was forced to configure the following from the console:

1. complete the system configuration dialog, preferring the minimal 'management' settings, and applying the ip address 192.168.10.1/255.255.255.0 to the vlan1 interface
  2. enter global configuration mode (enable, conf t) and then:
    1. ip http secure-server
    2. ip dhcp excluded addresses 192.168.10.1
    3. ip dhcp pool bah
      1. network 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0
      2. exit
    4. int fa0/1/7
      1. no shutdown
      2. end

At this point, I was able to follow directions like "connect an ethernet cable to a switch port on the UC520 and have fun with CCA" (although the fun was short-lived since when CCA connects to the UC520 it screws around with BVI's and manages to force the UC520 to change the MAC address on vlan1 .. thereby cutting off communication for the rest of the config actions it had probably contemplated ... I may post the problems if I decide to persist in this direction).

Overall, I have not been impressed by what appears to be mis-information in either Appendix A of the First Look Labs v1.5, (which outlines a procedure for a manual factory reset via the CLI) or the Section 8 of the UC520 Getting Started Guide (which describes how to connect to the UC520 with CCA after the initial power-on).

Either the factory reset procedure via CLI doesn't bring the UC520 back to the same state as it ships, or the instructions for CCA merrily omit to mention that in order to talk to the UC520 after initial power-on, you've got to complete basic configuration similar to what I've configured above.

We really sorely need adequate instructions to manually bring the UC520 to a state that's good for use with CCA 2.2(1).

In the days before CCA, this always worked for me:

Two Steps:

1) CUE: Session to the CUE and restore factory defaults.   If you never configured voice mail before, this may not be required, but if you did, you must do this or old data will not be cleaned up and will cause weird behavior from AA trying to reach users by names and when trying to log into a phones voice mail box, you will not have the correct user ID and PW. This will give you a clean system. no users and no voicemail

UC520# service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session

This will take your into CUE system where you can issue the following commands:

UC500-CUE> offline

!!!WARNING!!!: If you are going offline to do a backup, it is recommended that you save the current running configuration using the 'write' command, prior to going to the offline state.

Putting the system offline will terminate all end user sessions.

Are you sure you want to go offline[n]? : y

UC500-CUE(offline)> restore factory default

!!!WARNING!!!: This operation will cause all configuration and data

on the system to be erased. This operation is not reversible.

Do you wish to continue[n]? : y

Restoring the system. Please wait .....done

System will be restored to factory default when it reloads.

Press any key to reload:

2) CME:  copy the default configuration file to the startup-config and then reload the router.

copy flash:UC520W-16U-4FXO-K9-factory-15.0.1.cfg startup-config <--this is specific to your model of course

reload

That's exactly what I did for the manual reset.

My point is, that instead of giving me a router that's in a state for connecting to with CCA, that procedure gives me a router that's in a 'System Configuration Dialog', asking if I want to configure just a minimal management interface or configure them all from the console.

Why are our experiences different?

Sigh.  That would be:

* you see the System Configuration Dialog because no startup-config was loaded

* no startup-config is loaded because the configuration register is 0x2142

* the configuration register is 0x2142 because you forgot to change it back to 0x2102 after password recovery

cheers,

David.

I recently factory defaulted my UC520, I am not able to find the IP address, do you know how to find it for CCA?

I did what you said, it still says "Connection Failed", could you please help me?

Will my license also go away if I reset it?

jamesm1981
Level 1
Level 1

do a show version to verify that the right IOS is being loaded. i have spent the last 24hours understanding the upgrade path of the uc500. i believe as we speak to have finally found the sequence that worked for me while upgrading a UC520 with 128mb of flash.

show version will show you which IOS is being read from flash. is it the correct one you are looking to boot with?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: